samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Prepare for Job Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Whether you are trying to get a job to help you through school or you are trying to start a post-college career, job interviews can be beyond stressful. While doing your research on the job and practicing interview questions can be helpful to prepare, there are many small things you can do to help the interview go successfully and to help you present your most impressive self. 

Source: Startup Stock

1. Find an outfit that is professional but comfortable.

Of course, it is important to dress nice, but this does not mean that you need to be uncomfortable in what you are wearing.  You want to wear something that makes you feel confident, and an outfit that is too small or that you do not feel comfortable wearing will add to your stress.

2. Don’t wear heels that you can’t walk in.

It may seem like a good idea to wear heels to your interview — after all, that seems to be part of the iconic professional woman look — but if you are not used to wearing heels, this is probably not the time to start. Stumbling and falling in front of your potential employer is much less professional than wearing flats.

Source: Gratisography

3. If you’re not sure if your outfit is appropriate, wear something else.

Unfortunately, we live in a society where you could be the most qualified person for a job, but you won’t get it if your interviewer does not approve of how you present yourself. While there is a clearer standard for what men should wear to look professional, professional clothing for those who identify as female can be a lot less clear cut. If a skirt seems like it might be too short, a blouse seems like it might be too tight, or aforementioned heels might be a quarter inch too high, wear something else. At best, you will be self-conscious about it during your interview; at worst, it could cost you the job.

4. Plan your transportation ahead of time.

It seems so many bad interview stories include some transportation problems, so try to preemptively avoid the problems you can prevent. This includes figuring out what the parking situation will be, checking the bus schedule, or making sure your car has enough gas. When you get directions, make sure you account for potential traffic.

5. Plan enough time for most things to go wrong.

We all know that we are supposed to give ourselves extra time to get to a job interview, because something might go unexpectedly, and being late is never a good first impression. However, I have found that the more stressed out I am about time, the more likely that seemingly everything goes wrong. Because of this, I try to give myself twice as much time as I think I will need to prepare for and get to an interview. This may seem obsessive, but even if you don’t need the time, it looks more professional to show up early than it does to show up late.

6. Bring Advil (or your over-the-counter pain meds of choice).

Whether caused by stress or bad luck, I manage to always get headaches on the way to an interview. Because of this, I have found it helpful to carry some Ibuprofen with me. If you end up getting a headache, bad cramps, or another distracting ailment, you will be glad you have it.

7. Don’t get yourself too stressed out

Yes, interviews are nerve-wracking situations, but making yourself excessively stressed out can impede on your interview performance. There is a difference between being prepared and tying yourself into a knot of anxiety as you anxiously rehearse answers for every possible question your interviewer could ask.  Just remember, your interviewer is probably also slightly nervous to be interviewing you. After all, social anxiety doesn’t dissipate with employment.

Madeline is a fourth year English and History double major at UC Davis. She is currently devoting significant amounts of her time to an honors thesis on modernist poetry. But when she does have free time, she spends it going on long runs, watching historically based dramas, and trying to be a better cook.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!