How to Make Realistic New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It’s a new year, which means you may have thought about setting some new year’s resolutions for yourself (if you haven’t already). New year’s resolutions are a great way to improve any aspect of yourself or your life.

However, it’s fair to say that most people don’t actually follow through with their new year’s resolutions. This is because people often set goals that are hard to achieve simply because they don’t know how to achieve them!

Source: giphy.com

Here are a few things to keep in mind while making your 2018 new year resolutions!

New year’s resolutions don’t have to be grandiose — start with the little things.

For example, you can set a goal to make your bed every morning. Once you get the hang of making your bed before leaving your house or apartment, you can add on more simple tasks to incorporate into your daily life such as hanging your clothes back in your closet right after trying them on (admit it, you struggle with this sometimes). By the end of the year, you can say you’ve achieved your resolution to keep your room clean and neat!

It’s important to have sub-goals that are specific enough for you to follow on a daily basis. For example, if your resolution is to attain your ideal “bikini bod” by summertime, think about what aspects of your diet and exercise habits you can change. You can start out by cutting out candy and soda, and incorporating 30 minutes of physical activity into each day. Specific sub-goals give you some sense of direction in achieving what may seem like daunting goals.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful — best of luck on your journey to a better you!

Cover image source: pexels.com

Amanda is a fourth year UCD student majoring in Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior with a minor in Psychology. She is an undergraduate research assistant at an affective neuroscience lab on campus. When she isn't studying or working, Amanda enjoys binge-watching shows on Netflix, doodling, napping, and hanging out with her friends.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!