How to Avoid Getting Sick during Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

It seems like almost everyone comes down with the cold, flu, or some nasty bug during winter quarter. It can be all too easy to forget to take care of our bodies and our immune systems when it’s freezing cold outside. Remember, self-care is important and your body will thank you later! Check out these four ways to protect yourself from getting sick this winter.

1. Get the flu shot!

It’s not too late, Aggies! Getting the shot at any point during flu season will dramatically reduce your likelihood of getting the flu and spreading it to others. Don’t be that one person who gets the flu and gets everyone else sick.

Remember that some people, especially those with illnesses or weak immune systems, can’t get the shot, and if you come into contact with them, you can put their lives at risk. As someone with a severe needle-phobia, I tough it out every winter and get the shot, and I promise it doesn’t even hurt!

2. Wash your hands (a lot).

Touching door handles, using communal spaces, riding the crowded buses, working out, and even sitting next to people in a lecture hall are breeding places for germs and bacteria. Wash your hands any chance you get and avoid touching your face and spreading unwanted bacteria to your nose and mouth. If you’re not close to a bathroom, bring a mini hand sanitizer in your backpack or pocket!

3. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

While this is pretty self-explanatory, remember to treat your body kindly and give it the hydration it needs to get through the day. When it’s freezing cold outside, it can be all too easy to forget to drink water. Try filling up your water bottle the night before and putting a sticky note on the fridge to remember to bring it to school with you.

Image source: Unsplash

4. Power up your immune system with Vitamin C.

Keeping your immune system strong and healthy is the best way to avoid getting sick. This means eating lots of fruits and vegetables, or even taking a Vitamin C supplement (like Airborne). Try sticking a tangerine or apple in your backpack for a great snack and boost of Vitamin C.

Another great way to strengthen your immune system is to drink tea loaded with antioxidants like green tea, lemon ginger, or peppermint. This way you can stay warm, hydrate, boost your immune system, and drink a relaxing beverage all in one. 

Don’t forget to take care of yourselves, Aggies!

Cover image source: Pexels

This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!