camera event live settings 66134?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
camera event live settings 66134?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Here is What the Davis Filmmaking Society is Doing This Quarter 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Movies. We all love them. Some of my best memories from when I was younger came from going to the movies with my aunt and uncle. It was during this time that I started to notice that the way they make us laugh, cry, and tear our hair out is partly due to the mood that their genres evoke. Movies really do have the ability to elicit powerful emotions and transport us to different worlds. The Davis Filmmaking Society (or DFS for short), is a group of film enthusiasts who are passionate about exploring the different genres and techniques that make movies so captivating. As a member of the Davis Filmmaking Society, I have learned firsthand about how the art of storytelling and how different genres can completely transform a plot.

DFS does a different collaborative project every quarter in order to allow everyone the ability to get involved and learn more about what it takes to produce a film. This quarter, the club has taken on an exciting project that encourages members to explore the power of genres, taking the same plot and re-imagining it in different genres. Each group has been tasked with creating a film that follows the enemies-to-lovers-to-enemies-again format; but with the complete creative freedom to interpret the plot in their own unique way. We toyed with the idea of a few genres, but the final ones we decided on were Western, Film Noir, Horror, Romantic Comedy, Heist, and Science Fiction. 

Despite all having completely different tones and tropes, it has been incredibly interesting seeing what each group has decided to put together. From a sorority slasher picture to a game of Mafia gone wrong (I’ll let you guess which genres these films belong to), the endless creativity among members of the club never ceases to amaze me. What’s especially exciting about this project is that it allows everyone to get involved and learn more about what it takes to produce a film. One of the beauties of being a part of DFS is the fact that you do not need any filmmaking experience in order to join. Everything you need to learn will be taught to you as you go! From pre-production planning to post-production editing, each member has the chance to contribute their skills and expertise to the project. Through my involvement in the Davis Filmmaking Society, I feel like I have deepened my appreciation for the art form and gained invaluable hands-on experience in the process. 

Each of the projects is currently in post-production, meaning groups are mainly focused on smaller aspects such as scriptwriting and location scouting. However, I am incredibly excited to see the outcome of these productions. I truly cannot wait to see the amazing films my fellow members produce this quarter and continue learning and growing as a filmmaker myself. Don’t worry, I will be sure to keep you all updated on this project. If you want to see more from the Davis Filmmaking Society, you can reserve your FREE ticket to their Film Festival happening June 2nd! 

Order Tickets Here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dfs-film-fest-2023-tickets-616780114927 

Jaylynn is an English and Cinema and Digital Media student at the University of California, Davis. She hopes to use her platform on Her Campus to highlight the little moments of life and hopes you enjoy reading her articles!