This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Thanksgiving is often portrayed as a time of celebration where you gather with your beloved friends and family, go around the dining table to share what you’re thankful for, and feast together on delicious food. This is the traditional way of spending the holiday, but in our everyday life that is full of twists and turns, such a tradition becomes much more complicated.

We aren’t always able to do the same activities we had done every year. Remember the COVID-19 pandemic, for instance. Everything was on lockdown and staying indoors became our life for months, limiting us from interacting with the people we used to see daily and from participating in outdoor activities that we used to do. People began to adapt by using online services to meet with others. Aside from such a large-scale event, there are much smaller, common events that influence how our holidays are spent.

In my family’s case, the yearly holiday norms changed when I left to go to college. Since Thanksgiving is two weeks before Winter Break and flight tickets can be expensive, I decided to stay at school last year during this short holiday break. As my roommates headed home to their families, I wished them goodbye with a warm send-off until the noise in our apartment turned to silence and I was the only person left. This year will be no different.

Although it can sound depressing, being alone — especially on a holiday — doesn’t have to be a negative experience, and it’s important to understand that being alone is not synonymous with being lonely. I like to view these days as an opportunity for “me time” to take care of myself and do the activities that I’ve been neglecting due to school assignments and work. Subsequently, I have been able to embrace the time that is focused solely on myself without needing to think about how others will be affected.

Here are three ways to spend the Thanksgiving holiday when you’re by yourself.

1. Table for One: Eat at a Restaurant

It may seem like an odd and uncomfortable activity to do at first since we’re used to going with a group of friends or family, but going alone can be a heightened experience to enjoy a meal without other distractions. There is no need to compromise on what food to order, discuss how to split the bill, or find conversation topics. Instead, you can people-watch and immerse yourself into the environment by being in the present.

2. Watch a Movie at Home

Oftentimes, I like to pair this activity with my favorite takeout food which leaves me with a satisfied stomach and viewing experience. As respect to my roommates, I stay aware of my noise level and usually keep my headphones on almost all day. Therefore, it is a nice change to be “unplugged.”

3. Self-Care

Sometimes, it is nice to spend the day away from all devices, people, school, and work. During this “unplugged” day, I like to spend my time on hobbies that I pushed off, such as drawing, learning to speak another language, or dancing. I also ensure to focus on my bodily health by taking a walk outside and exercising. Towards the end of the night, I dim my lights and read a book that I chose for myself rather than one that is assigned for school. These are the things that make me happy and it is important to do what you must to make yourself feel cared for.

Whether you’re looking forward to your solo Thanksgiving or dreading it, I hope you will be able to take this holiday break as a time to reflect upon yourself. You’ve come a long way and grown into a better version of yourself, even if you aren’t doing so consciously. Take care of yourself and find what you’re thankful for this year!

Kayla is currently a third-year English and Communications student at the University of California, Davis. She enjoys learning new skills, especially in relation to art or language, and loves petting cats.