Get Informed About Sexual and Domestic Violence at UCD CARE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Next to TAPS is the office building for the Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education. CARE is UCD’s on-campus, confidential resource for intervention and informational services regarding sexual violence, intimate partner violence, and stalking.

I’ve volunteered with the organization for a year, but with sexual assault currently in the national headlines, and October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month, I decided to reach out to Allyanna Pittman, CARE’s outreach assistant, for more information about their services.

What services does CARE provide for the UC Davis community? 

CARE provides crisis intervention for sexual violence survivors as well as prevention education. Our services are available to all UC Davis affiliates–including students, staff, and faculty on the main campus and medical center. Some advocacy services include assistance with reporting options, accompaniment, and resource referrals. More details about services can be found on our website

What programs and events are coming up for CARE?

For Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we’ve hosted Healthy Relationships Bingo workshops to spread awareness about what abuse looks like and how to have healthy relationships. Another event we have this month is an educational film screening and discussion at the LGBTQIA Resource Center on October 4th at 3pm. 

The biggest event we host is Take Back the Night. This event has historically been about raising awareness about sexual assault, empowering survivors, and promoting community action. For this school year, Take Back the Night will be on April 12th in the Student Community Center Multi-purpose Room. 

What other resources are there for someone who is a survivor or knows someone who is?

We encourage folks to seek out other confidential campus or community resources. On campus, confidential resources include the LGBTQIA Resource Center, the Women’s Research & Resource Center, the Center for Advocacy Resources & Education, and Counseling Services.

Some community resources include Empower Yolo (Woodland, CA), WEAVE (Sacramento, CA), and My Sister’s House (Sacramento, CA).

CARE services are open to anyone affiliated with UC Davis, regardless of gender, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, nationality, or citizenship status. If you would like to speak confidentially with a CARE advocate, call 752-3299 or email at ucdcare@ucdavis.edu.

Aimee Lim is a junior at UC Davis, pursuing an English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as a minor in Biology. Besides writing and editing for Her Campus at UCD, she is interning as a middle school's teacher's assistant and for the McIntosh & Otis Literary Agency. She also volunteers for the UCD Center for Advocacy, Research, and Education (CARE), which combats campus sexual assault, domestic/dating violence, and stalking. An aspiring novelist, her greatest achievement is an honorable mention in the Lyttle Lytton "Worst Opening Lines to a (Fictional) Novel" contest. Besides writing, she loves reading, movies, music, women's history, and feminism.Follow her blog at https://lovecaution.wordpress.com.  
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!