Salad
Salad
Jenny Georgieva / Spoon

Easy Recipes for Lazy Cooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

I moved into my own apartment with a couple of friends during the pandemic about a month ago, and I truly had no idea what I was in for. I’ve been privileged enough to not have to cook my own meals when I was at home (thanks Mom), and also had the amazing opportunity of experiencing the infamous “Freshman 15” (thanks school DC). But now that I have to cook for myself, I’ve slowly been learning how fun it is. Based on videos from my “For You” page on TikTok, here are a few easy recipes for beginner chefs!

Fried Crunchy Tofu Bites

This requires only a few ingredients. I usually have it with a side of rice or on top of a salad.

Ingredients: firm tofu, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, eggs, breadcrumbs

I make a mixture of half a cup of cornstarch with a generous amount of black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. I take my firm tofu and make sure to press down on it with a paper towel to get the water out. While I’m waiting for the water to get soaked up, I crack and stir an egg in one bowl and put breadcrumbs in another bowl with a lid. Once my tofu is dry, I cut them into cubes and roll them around in the cornstarch mixture. Then, I drop them in the eggs, and once they’re ready I put them into the breadcrumbs and coat them evenly by shaking the bowl. After the tofu pieces are thoroughly crumb-ified, I pan fry them with some oil on medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Once they’re golden brown, you’re good to go! (recipe via @cupoftj on TikTok)

Courtesy of Etsy

Mac and Cheese

I made mac and cheese the other day, and not the watered-down kind, but real cheesy goodness topped with breadcrumbs. It’s a bit higher maintenance than what I would normally make, but as Tom and Donna from Parks and Rec would say, “TREAT YO SELF!”

Ingredients: macaroni, flour, heavy cream of choice, milk of choice, sharp cheddar cheese or variety of other cheeses, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, breadcrumbs

First, I take about half a stick of butter along with ¼ cup of flour and whisk them together on low heat. Then, I slowly add in ¼ cup of heavy cream along with the same amount of milk (oat milk works great). At this point, I start eyeballing everything and continue to add in heavy cream, milk, and flour until I reach a creamy consistency, but you want around 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of heavy cream, and ½ cup of flour in your pan at the end. The cheeses you add are very important; I usually go with sharp cheddar and whatever else I have; in this case, I used my Mexican 4-cheese blend. I put in a generous handful of each cheese and continued to whisk together on low heat. For seasoning, I put in a couple of shakes of paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Once the cheese mixture looks ready, I combine it with my macaroni and then transfer it onto a baking pan. I layer more cheese and panko breadcrumbs on top. Then I pop the mac and cheese in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for around 20-30 minutes. (recipe via @theres.food.at.home on TikTok).    

Tofu salad
Photo by Anh Nguyen from Unsplash

5 Minute Asian Style Noodles

Have leftover noodles and not sure what to do with them? Make Asian style noodles.

Ingredients: soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, oil of choice, chopped garlic, green onions (optional), sesame seeds (optional)

Mix together 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of sugar, a splash of oil, and some chopped garlic. Once that’s all combined, I add in my noodles and then top it off with chopped green onions and sesame seeds. (recipe via @cupoftj on TikTok).

Fruit & Chip Dip

For a quick snack, I have been OBSESSED with an easy dip that you can use for fruit or crackers. 

Ingredients: Greek yogurt, nut butter (I use almond), honey, and cinnamon

All I do is take a couple spoonsful of Greek yogurt, combine half that amount with nut butter, then put in as much honey and cinnamon as desired. I like this dip best with apple slices!  

packaged fruits and signs set up at a booth at a farmer's market
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels
And when all else fails, instant noodles are a great way to fill your stomach temporarily. But remember to eat some veggies too!

Chelina is a third-year Communication and Sociology major at UC Davis. She loves binge watching Parks and Rec and considers herself an ice cream fanatic. After graduating, she hopes to work in public relations, marketing, or consulting.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!