This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Starting off Spring Quarter with some new healthy habits is a great plan! Detoxes are always a smart way to get your body feeling rejuvenated and ready to conquer whatever this quarter throws at you. Below are some easy detoxes that anyone can do:

1. Drink a glass of water when you wake up

We all know how good water is for us, yet we still forget to drink it. Beginning your day with a big glass of water will set you in the routine of drinking more water all day long. I recommend adding a squeeze of lemon or squeezed lemon and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

Image source: Pexels

2. Focus on antioxidants             

Antioxidants inhibit the oxidation of other molecules in foods. The chemical reaction of oxidation may lead to the damage of human cells. So, focus on eating lots of antioxidants for a couple of days. Foods high in antioxidants include blackberries, cranberries, dark chocolate, blueberries, spinach, and kale.

3. Drink green tea

I absolutely love green tea and drink it every day before class. Green tea has caffeine in it, but not as much as coffee. It’s a great substitute for your daily coffee needs. My favorite green teas are Yogi’s Super Antioxidant Green Tea and Trader Joe’s Jasmine Green Tea.

Image source: Pexels

4. Avoid processed food

Try to avoid processed food and eat more fruits and vegetables. This will ease things on your digestive system and give you lots of healthy energy.

5. Meditate

When detoxing, it’s important to think about your mind as well as your stomach. Dedicate 15 minutes every day to meditate. This will help clear your mind and keep you focused on whatever task at hand. If you have never meditated before, I recommend getting a meditation app or finding a guided meditation online!

Image source: Samuel Silitonga, Pexels

6.  Cut out toxic oils

Many processed foods nowadays contain very toxic oils. These oils include canola oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil, and sunflower oil. Try to stick to the healthy oils such as olive oil, avocado oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, ghee, and hemp seed oil. It is extremely important we put the correct types of oils and fats in our bodies to support overall health. The only two oils that you should sautée other food with are coconut oil, peanut oil, and ghee.

7. Eat probiotics

Probiotics are great for your body! This bacteria helps in eliminating toxins. Probiotic foods include yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, and kombucha.

Image source: Pexels

With the help of these detoxes, you will feel amazing and have a healthy beginning to the quarter So, let’s start detoxing!

Courtney is a senior at the University of California Davis where she is earning her degree in Communication, with minor in English. Courtney is a member of Alpha Delta Pi and is from Santa Barbara, CA. She is an avid reader, Netflix and Hulu watcher, beauty enthusiast, and is a big foodie!
Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.