Celebrities Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Celebrities Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith / Justin Bieber / Hailey Baldwin Bieber / Pink / Lizzo
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

As I scrolled through Twitter for the 28th time today, I noticed a ​video​ that was originally posted by Gal Gadot that featured a lot of celebrities doing an acapella cover of “Imagine” by John Lennon. As I watched the celebrities sing this iconic song in front of their iPhone 11 cameras, I just… cringed. The world at this time does not need celebrities telling us to “Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can” when celebrities have the most possessions out of all us. 

Twitter, phone, app
Sara Kurfeß / Unsplash
Gal Gadot wasn’t the only celebrity acting like a fool during these times. Kim K posted a ​selfie​ with the caption “Sending everyone lots of love today” in which everyone responded, “We need you to send us money, Kim.” This week, we also had Vanessa Hudgens talk on her ​IG live ​where she said “Til July sounds like a bunch of bullshit. I’m sorry, but like, it’s a virus, I get it. I respect it. But at the same time, like, even if everybody gets it, like, yeah, people are gonna die. Which is terrible, but like, inevitable? I don’t know. Maybe I shouldn’t be doing this right now.” 

Yes Vanessa, you shouldn’t be doing this right now. Kim, please send the millions of people that are unemployed due to the quarantine some money that you can spare. Gal, do not gather all these A list celebrities to sing to the world to imagine a world where all the people are living in peace and sharing the world as one. 

The world is struggling and those in power are not helping. Instead they sit in their mansions, with more than 5 rooms, hitting up Jimmy Fallon to record a 15 second clip that is supposed to reunite the world. This is a time where we need the billionaires of this world to help us get supplies for those who not only cannot afford it due to not having a job, but also for those who can’t even find work. Celebrities were given platforms that mass audiences can access for a reason and for some reason they’re not using it. 

HCM Design
I don’t know why the quarantine has got celebrities acting like fools on their socials. More than ever, we need these billionaires to contribute their wealth in order to even ​think ​about having a world that is equal. We need celebrities to use, at least, one million of their net worth to replenish supplies in hospitals all over the world that are dealing with this pandemic. We need celebrities to not be insensitive and ignorant to how drastically their wealth can change the situation at hand. 

Hi I'm Jackie! I'm a fourth year transfer student majoring in Communication and English. I'm a big advocate of the body positive moment and learning to measure your life in love!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!