Calling All Female Entrepreneurs: OWN IT Comes Back to Davis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

For women trying to make it as entrepreneurs, the world of business can be intimidating. However, the OWN IT Summit provides a space for women who have a passion for business to meet some of their role models and learn how to succeed in an all-day event. The Davis Women in Business OWN IT Summit 2018 will be from 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Saturday, April 7, at the International Center, 463 California Ave. in Davis. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased here.

High school and college students, as well as working women within the Davis community, are welcome to attend.

With female entrepreneurs on the rise, this annual summit helps Davis women bridge the gap between themselves and the women who inspire them in the fields of business, technology, activism and more.

The first OWN IT Summit was hosted on the Georgetown campus in 2014. According to the OWN IT Summit mission statement, some of the goals of the event are to “develop leaders” and “bring together generations of women who are eager to change the world through art, business, activism, teaching, organizing, journalism, public service and more.” The OWN IT Summit is a blueprint for an event, so Davis Women in Business has taken on most of the planning, publicizing and funding themselves, all while keeping the event affordable and accessible.

Last year, Davis Women in Business hosted an OWN IT Summit that included speakers from NASA, Oracle, Facebook, and the San Francisco Human Rights Commission.

This year, their keynote speaker is Diane Bryant, COO of Google Cloud and a UCD alumna. The summit will include panels such as Women in Tech, Women in Digital Media and Women Bosses: Entrepreneurs. You can buy tickets here for $7.

Ready to get inspired? #OWNIT2018

Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.