This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Everyone wants perfect, glowing skin, so what do we do? We go out to our local beauty supply stores and buy every expensive product we can find that displays words like “Glowing,” “Flawless,” and “Hydrating.” The truth is, we can buy all of the products that we want to and still have unhealthy, dull skin. Beauty starts, first and foremost, from within, and we should be feeding our bodies the nutrients it needs to grow strong and healthy skin cells.

Unsplash
There are so many delicious and beautiful foods that are good for your skin, and that will make you glow from the inside out. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Green Tea

Green tea contains a lot of antioxidants. Antioxidants reduce and counteract free radical production in the skin. Green tea also contains catechins, which are very powerful antioxidants that can protect your skin against sun damage, reduce redness, and increase hydration and elasticity of your skin.

2. Dark Chocolate

Who doesn’t love some good dark chocolate with their morning coffee or as a late night snack? What’s even better is that dark chocolate has been shown to have some awesome impacts on the skin. Dark chocolate can improve your skin’s hydration and can combat wrinkles. Dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants, and some studies have shown that dark chocolate can protect you from sun damage and will take away the roughness from your skin.

3. Salmon 

I love grilling some salmon and serving it with brown rice and mango salsa drizzled on top. Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which help to maintain hydration in the skin. Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to aid in reducing inflammation in the skin, which can improve the state of skin redness or acne production. The zinc found in salmon can also increase the production of skin cell growth, which is essential in the wound healing process of skin.

4. Blueberries

Blueberries contain antioxidants and are packed with vitamin C. The vitamin C in blueberries helps to produce firm and healthy skin. Vitamin C is essential to the production of collagen, which is a protein that aids in cell growth and production. 

5. Avocados

Avocados are a delicious way to get yourself some healthy skin. Not only do avocados contain antioxidants, but they are also filled with monounsaturated fats. The monounsaturated fats, vitamin E, and healthy oils in avocados will help you obtain healthy, glowing, and supple skin.

6. Spinach

Spinach is wonderful for fighting wrinkles because of the powerful antioxidants that it contains. Spinach has vitamin E, vitamin C, and beta-carotene. These antioxidants will protect your skin from the sun’s harsh rays and keep your skin healthy and wrinkle-free. 

Get munching on all of these yummy foods, and let the glow begin. Feeding your skin essential nutrients will work so many wonders for you that can’t be achieved by solely using expensive topical skincare products. Addressing your health on the inside will reflect in your beauty on the outside. Enjoy eating these delicious foods and reap the benefits!

vegetables
Photo by Ella Olsson on Unsplash

Hannah is studying Communications and Professional Writing at UC Davis. She is eager to share her experiences and lifestyle tips and tricks to motivate and inspire her peers to lead a healthy, balanced life! In her free time, Hannah enjoys playing with her dog, singing, and grabbing bubble tea with friends!
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!