Working women?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Working women?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Womxn have made great strides throughout history, from working away from home, getting the vote, getting education, and going to college, to becoming leaders in business and politics. It is tragic to think about how many womxn suffered and longed for the freedoms we have today. Here are some top advances to be thankful for.

1. Period supplies

Tampons
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Initially, womxn used things like grass, felted wool, and material scraps to handle their periods, which sounds really gross. Wood pulp “towels” were the first step towards pads; however, they were too expensive for most womxn. The next advances were cotton wool-belted sanitary pads, which had the pad and straps around the waist to keep them in place. In the 1940s, tampons were invented by a German gynecologist named Dr. Judith Esser-Mittag. In the 1980s, adhesives were put on pads for the hygiene product we know today. We even have menstrual cups now to reduce waste during periods. It sucks to deal with periods at all, but it could be worse.

2. Cleaning supplies

Lindsay Thompson-Miami Laundry Posing Vintage Pensive
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus
This is a funny thing to be grateful for, but before the 1900s, womxn had to clean without appliances and use just good old brooms, sponges and soap. I don’t even want to think about “cleaning” before soaps! The invention of appliances appalled many traditionalists, but these appliances saved people so much time that could be better used elsewhere. The best innovations, in my opinion, are vacuums, washers, and dryers. Most cleaning still involves some elbow grease, but things have definitely improved. 

3. Cooking appliances

Toast
Aakanksha Joshi / Spoon
Similarly to cleaning, cooking used to take so much more time. With appliances, repetitive tasks could be done with ease. Of course, the best cooking still requires some talent. The electric toaster was first invented in 1893, the standing mixer in 1910, and the commercial rice cooker in 1954.

4. Learning

woman in black dress stands outside in front of a fence holding her graduation cap
TinTin12 | Pixabay
Education can feel like a mixed blessing in the middle of midterm season, but womxn are incredibly lucky to be going to college and learning. This is especially true when you think about womxn in developing countries who still are not allowed to go to college or school at all because of their periods or so that they can work and be wives. Just a few hundred years ago, females were not allowed in schools because of their “weaker” minds. The same argument that womxn belong at home was used to keep womxn out of college. It makes me sad to think how many girls had to watch their brothers go to school while they stayed at home in the past. When girls got into schools, some learning was still barred because it was hard, such as math and engineering, which unfortunately still occurs today. It is very important to remember that the way that learning, and especially certain subjects, is discussed with young people can shape their whole lives! This is why teachers should encourage their students to try subjects they are interested in; socialization is essential to development. Now, of course, NGOs like the Peace Corps promote girl’s education, because educating females helps nations develop. Educated girls teach their families (now and in the future), have kids later on in life, and are healthier, all of which is important for development.

5. Clothes

person kneels to tie their running shoes. they are wearing a coat and a hat and appear to be on a bridge
Burst | Pexels
Clothes for everyone, but especially females, has improved greatly. I am not an expert in fashion, but the shift from long unwieldy skirts to free-flowing pants is definitely a plus for me! I am happy to have the continued option for skirts when I want to wear them, but am glad they are not a requirement and don’t hamper me. Advances in underwear are particularly great. Bras come in all shapes, support, and sizes now, as opposed to the corset, which could actually deform womxn’s ribs and misalign their skeletons! I also like that shoes have great variety and comfort levels. 

There are many things to be grateful for in the 21st century. For many, womxn had to fight for the right to access while juggling home and work lives. Doing our best is a good way to honor the womxn who came before us.

I was born in Bakersfield, but I have moved over ten times since I was three years old. I love books and musicals. Yes I am a Hamilton fanatic, Potter fan, Tolkien follower and feel the compulsive need to read at least once a day. My other favorite hobby is cooking. Currently my major is in Environmental Policy Analysis and Planning at UC Davis.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!