5 Phrases of Affirmation: Post-Finals Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With the closing of the quarter and the last push of our brain power and effort into finishing final exams, it is an understatement to say that we are all tired. Tired of studying, tired of working, and tired of the physical and mental toll school takes on all of us. With this, it is important to take a moment to heal and take care of our bodies and minds in the post-finals moment of relaxation and rest. I want to offer five phrases of affirmation for anyone who is feeling incredibly burnt out from the intensity of exams, essays, and/or projects. 

But first — what are affirmations? Words of affirmations are meant to uplift, motivate, and connote kindness and healing to all. I don’t only want to provide five words of affirmation, but five phrases that everyone should know and internalize as they come out of a hectic time. 

So, here it goes.

1. You are more than your grades.

Whatever the outcome may be, you are absolutely worth more than a number on an assignment. Grades are a temporary measure of assessment, not a label that represents you as a person. No matter what grade you got on that essay or exam, you are a smart, competent, and amazing human being who is not defined by something temporary.

1. You are worthy of being successful.

Even though school and life may double up to feel impossible to conquer, you are absolutely worth all the success you’ve experienced, and you are worth all of the future success you will undergo. 

1. You deserve time to replenish and take care of your body.

With the stress and hecticness of finals, you absolutely deserve to take care of yourself. Whether this is through the smallest of things or the largest, your body deserves to be looked after and cared for. Don’t forget this.

1. Your possibilities are endless.

No matter what life throws at you, your possibilities for carving out your future path are absolutely endless. You do not yield to anyone else’s expectations other than your own, and you have infinite possibilities that you can choose to follow in order to carve out a better you. 

1. You will not worry about any things or people you cannot control. 

While this is easier said than done, the things or individuals that you cannot control should not take up your mental health or headspace. You can let go of all of the things that no longer serve you, and instead start focusing on what you do have control over. From there, you can arrive at more helpful and healthy destinations and choices. 

While life is incredibly hard, you can make it through. Just by reading and reflecting on these affirmations in this article, you are already taking the steps to be kinder to your body and mind, and hopefully towards taking a much needed break after final exams. 

Here is one final affirmation for all of you to take in: 

You are worthy. You are capable. You are competent. You are amazing. 

Catalina is currently a third-year English major at University of California, Davis. Her interests include watching Studio Ghibli movies, reading fantasy novels, listening to Broadway musicals, and cooking with her family. After graduation, Catalina would like to become a high school English teacher and share her love of storytelling with her future students. :)