stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Avoid Getting Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Getting sick sucks, especially for a busy college student. Here are some tips to protect yourself from whatever is spreading around campus!

1. Wipe down the surfaces that get touched the most often

Door knobs, light switches, the handles on your fridge and drawers, you name it. All of these surfaces collect a lot of bacteria throughout the day. These places get touched so often that bacteria spreads from person to person in no time.

2. Wash your hands frequently.

This is another great way to stop bacteria from spreading. There’s no way of knowing if the student who sat at your desk before you sneezed all over it, so be sure to wash well every time you come home from school.

3. Lots of vitamin C.

It isn’t a miracle worker, but if you do come down with something, vitamin C can help you get better much faster. Eat tomato soup and lots of veggies, or make yourself a quick glass of Emergen-C.

4. Get your flu shot.

The last thing you need is to miss a ton of classes because you feel so terrible that you can’t do anything but lie around all day. Ask for a flu shot at Rite Aid or see if you can get a free shot at the Student Health Center.

5. Sleep.

This is the best thing you can do for your body. Sleeping helps your body recuperate, and it also allows your immune system to work though whatever you may have picked up throughout the day. Being tired makes you much more vulnerable to getting sick, so catch those Z’s and stay healthy!

Mariana graduated from University of California, Davis in 2018 with bachelor's degrees in English and linguistics. She currently works as an editor for a biotechnology company in Seattle, WA.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!