4 Changes to Make to Your Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

1. Wash your face with cold water

Washing your face with steamy or hot water can be bad for you because it potentially irritates or scalds your skin. Splashing cold or lukewarm water onto your face could be less ideal in terms of temperature, but it doesn’t have any negative side effects! I always feel like my face gets tighter and brighter after I’ve washed and soaped with cold water in the morning before school or at night before bed.

2. Treat your dark circles

College will give you dark circles sooner or later, there’s no stopping that. With makeup, simply concealing your dark circles alone will give you that fresh, dewy, “wide-awake” look, and that’s without applying the rest of your routine! Find a good concealer or dark-circle corrector that you can use to swipe and hide your bags to hide the fact that you only got 4 hours of sleep because of that midterm. Applying a serum or cream that’s specifically made for dark circles is a good idea too! I use a serum called SkinFood: Gold Caviar Lifting Eye Serum, and just dab a little bit of it under my eyes before going to bed.

3. Use a face mask from time to time

I am in love with face masks! I like to use the sheet kind and stick them in the fridge before I put them on my face so it’s nice and cold. I usually only use them once a month on days my skin feels super irritated and dry. Or on the night before special events, like graduations, parties, etc.

4. Moisturize

Our youthful skin doesn’t last forever! Regularly moisturizing your skin now while you’re in your 20’s will make your 30 or 40 year-old selves thank you later. I have a specific moisturizer for my face that I use after I’ve washed up, but moisturizing your skin includes putting on basic lotion and sunscreen

Tammy is an English and creative writing major and journalism minor at the University of California, Davis. Her love for writing comes from blogging about fun college experiences and creating her own fictional stories. In her spare time, she enjoys tinkering with her violin and guitar, watching reruns of Gossip Girl on Netflix, and fangirling over boy bands. 
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.