books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 People to Remember When You Vote

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Voting on November 6th  isn’t just important for our future, we owe it to people of the past to continue their voice, honor their lives, and carry on their messages. Here is a list of 10 people to remember when you vote. 

1.  Susan B. Anthony

While she mainly focused on getting the vote for white women, her work towards getting women the right to vote is something to be remembered.

2.  Emmett Till

The murder of this young boy was a catalyst for the civil rights movement. This brutal act and outright display of racism should never reoccur. The civil rights set in play must be maintained.

3. Hillary Clinton

I am always with her. 

4. John F. Kennedy

“Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” What does that mean for today’s political climate?

5. Congressman John Lewis

A leader of the civil rights movement, he still fights for human rights today. Don’t let all his work be in vain. 

6. The Stoneman Douglas High School shooting victims

Alyssa Alhadeff, Scott Beigel, Martin Duque, Nicholas Dworet, Aaron Feis, Jaime Guttenberg, Chris Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, Helena Ramsay, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, Peter Wang.  

7. The Japanese who were interred in the U.S. during World War II. 

The U.S. has a dark history of racism, criminalization, and using marginalized people as scapegoats. Let’s work to end these patterns. 

8. Those in Flint, Michigan without access to clean water.

It’s been almost 4 years since the water crisis emerged and the problem still exists.

9. The Native Americans who live near the Dakota Access Pipeline.

10. The Tree of Life Shooting Victims

Joyce Fienberg, Richard Gottfried, Rose Mallinger, Jerry Rabinowitz, Cecil Rosenthal, David Rosenthal, Bernice Simon, Sylvan Simon, Daniel Stein, Melvin Wax, Irving Younger.

This is only a small portion of people we should think about when it comes time to vote. We can honor the work and the lives of these people by voting!

Sasha is a 4th year at UC Davis majoring in American Studies and Communication with a minor in Chicano Studies. She also is on the Davis Club Water Polo team and in her spare time enjoys reading, tagging friends in memes, making friends that have dogs, and making Spotify playlists.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!