10 of the Most Common Freshman Problems (and How to Solve Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Because I’m such a worrywart, my first quarter at Davis was pretty stressful. It had only been a few days since school started, and I already had a huge list of problems I didn’t quite know how to solve. Little did I know that there was really nothing to fret over. With a little time and effort, I was on the right path to a pretty awesome freshman year. Here are 10 common problems you may experience as a freshman and tips on how to deal with them. 1. Not getting along with your roommate

If you and your roommate are soul sisters, that’s great and you should definitely try to hang on to that. However, not all roommate relationships blossom into frienship, and that’s just fine too. Focus on what’s really important. Establish boundaries in your dorm so that you don’t drive each other crazy. If you can’t study with loud music or if you feel uncomfortable with your roommate’s boyfriend sleeping over every night, say something. It’ll be a lot easier to confront her if she’s not your best friend. If nothing changes, talk to your RA. Though no one wants to feel like a tattletale, there’s no need to feel awkward. Your RAs were carefully selected to solve these kinds of problems.2. Not getting the classes you wanted

Fall quarter registration may feel like the Hunger Games, but remember that most freshman don’t get their first pick when it comes to classes. Take some time to play around with ScheduleBuilder and look through the General Catalogue. The best thing about Davis’s class system is that there are always fantastic classes open. Don’t settle for a class you know you’re going to hate if it’s not a requirement for your major. UCD offers so many fun general education courses! Some of my favorite lower division classes are ENL 5F, NUT 11 and FST 10.

3. Textbooks are so expensive.

I used a good chunk of my babysitting money to pay for my textbooks freshman year. Now that I’m a sophomore, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I only buy my textbooks from the campus bookstore when it’s absolutely necessary. If you go to the store’s Facebook page, you’ll see that a lot of students sell their old books for great prices. You can also look for books on Amazon, although shipping ususally takes forever.

4. You don’t have a car

UC Davis also has a ridesharing page on Facebook. This is a fantastic way to find rides when you want to go home for the weekend or spend a day in San Francisco.

5. You don’t know how to find a job

Getting a job freshman year may be your number one priority. Luckily, Aggie Job Link offers so many jobs both on and off campus. You can use the search tool to filter your preferences, and the site also lets you upload your resume and cover letter directly from your computer.

6. You’re worried about the Freshman 15

While weight gain is common for freshman, it isn’t inevitable. In fact, college is the perfect time to get in shape. The ARC is right on campus, it’s top of the line, and it’s a prime location for campus cuties. Watch how much you eat at the DC because it’s easy to grab more than you need. While nights at the DC are a great way to socialize, try to make them occasional.

7. You’re afraid your bike will get stolen

ALWAYS lock up your bike–even if it’s just for a minute. I recommend a metal chain lock with a key. U-Locks are strong, but word on the street is that people have tools that can easily break them. Stay away from the thin wire locks because those can be cut easily.

8. You’re worried you won’t make friends

If you’re shy and it takes you a long time to warm up to people, try to say yes to as many invites as you can. If you’re not having fun with a particular group of friends, don’t blame yourself. Just be on the lookout for more opportunities to socialize with different people.

9. You feel lost in all your classes

Davis has a lot of academic resources on campus, and they’re free (well you’re paying for them already). Dunton Hall, for example, offers drop-in tutoring for several subjects. Most math and science series offer a co-class, a small class where you get to practice what you learned in class, prepare for tests, and ask questions. In order to register, you need to ask your professor for the CRN. You can also just drop in every week, but you’ll have to ask your professor or Dunton Hall for the location because these classes are always kept on the down low. If you aren’t taking a class to fulfill a major requirement, you can take it on a pass/fail grading system.

10.) You feel like you have no time to sleep and you’re are always getting sick

Everyone assumes that you can only have two out of three: sleep, good grades, or a social life. Most tend to compromise sleep for a stellar GPA and fun weekends. Just remember that sleep deprivation weakens the immune system. That’s probably why I caught a cold several times during my freshman year. Without sleep, you aren’t going to flourish in your classes. No offense, but you’re also not going to be fun to hang out with if you’re tired all time. Take care of yourself and try to get eight hours of sleep every night.

Hannah Wren is an English major and Digital Humanities minor on the Dean's Honors List for outstanding academic performance at UCLA. Hannah loves to write and has ample writing experience outside of school. Currently, she works at 7 Generation Games where she creates content for their website to engage and inspire their users. When she is not writing or working, she enjoys spending time with her family, bonding with friends and reading. After she graduates college, Hannah hopes to become a UX designer, entertainment journalist and publish a novel.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!