The 10 Most Bizarre Things to Happen This Election Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

The election of 2016 is surely one for the books — even though you might not want it to be. From the very beginning, this election has been a rollercoaster of gossip, intense emotions, and dramatic leaks — and it has really tested America’s patience. With only a little under one week left, let’s reminisce and start to say goodbye to the election of 2016 by taking a look at some of the most bizarre things to have happened (so far) in not only this election, but American politics.

1. Deez Nuts: a simpler time

It’s hard to remember a time before Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were the nominees, but I don’t think we can ever forget the start of the presidential election season, when candidate Deez Nuts was polling at 9% in North Carolina. Deez Nuts: gone, but never forgotten.

2. Hillary & the Youth Vote

Granted, this election is the first pivotal election to really take place at a time when the presence of social media has been stronger than ever. Who really knows social media like no other? Millennials. And who was looking for a way to win over Bernie supporters? Hillary Clinton. And now I present to you a beautiful collection of Hillary “keeping it real,” as the kids say these days. Take a look at this vine. And this one.

3. Sad Jeb

Remember when you couldn’t help but feel kind of… bad for Jeb Bush? For a guy who had to stand on stage while Trump just hurled insult after insult at him? For a guy who actually had to ask his audience to clap?

4. When Trump joked about his penis

It’s not every election you can look at the news and see headlines like, “Donald Trump defends size of his penis.” Hey, Donald, that kind of talk isn’t supposed to happen on stage at a presidential debate. I’m just spitballing, but shouldn’t that take place in more of a locker-room type setting? Oh, wait…

5. The birds have chosen

Nature was really trying to tell us something here.

6. Melania’s plagiarized speech

Then, there was that time during the Republican National Convention where Melania Trump word-for-word copied a part of Michelle Obama’s 2008 speech — and the Trump campaign took a page out of my book on how to deal with crises by straight up ignoring it. 

7. The Zodiac Killer

Remember when the Ted-Cruz-is-the-Zodiac-Killer meme got so much momentum that Cruz’s wife actually had to address it?

8. When Parliament actually debated banning Trump from the UK

Due to an online petition that received over 574,000 signatures, Parliament debated blocking Trump from entering the United Kingdom. Ultimately, Trump was not banned, but the gist of it is that for a period of time the British government was seriously considering it.

9. Those infamous Trump lines

There’s a good variety of terms Trump has unintentionally coined this election that have come back to bite him. Ever thought you’d hear a presidential candidate say these?

-“bad hombres”

-“ask the gays”

-“I love Hispanics!”

-“nasty woman”

-“my African-American”

10. When Canada tried to make us feel better

In recent news, Canadians launched a campaign called “Let’s Tell America It’s Great.” The sole purpose of this campaign is to cheer us because, let’s be honest, we need it after this election season.

Though this election and thus a great source of comedy are coming to an end, our sanity will soon be restored. Maybe.

Gretchen is a fourth year UC Davis student double majoring in political science and cinema & digital media. As an intersectional feminist, she finds interest in issues of social justice and equality. She also finds interest in dogs, Leonardo DiCaprio movies, and early 2000s music.
This is the UCD Contributor page from University of California, Davis!