This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Zumba, a type of aerobic fitness based on Latinx music, is one of the most fun workout routines I have taken part in. Since UCR is in an online format, the fitness classes also followed suit. I’ve been attending online Zumba since the beginning of Fall and the only time I’m disappointed is when I can’t go! 

woman in white shirt and blue leggings
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels
I’ve been going to Zumba with this particular instructor since the beginning of my first year, so it’s definitely bittersweet that I’ll be graduating soon. Her choreography is so fun, her personality is so down-to-earth, and her music is FULL of bangers. Some of my favorite songs of hers include “Se Te Nota,” “Pegale Con To,” and “Fogo” to name a few. 

When in-person, the atmosphere of Zumba was magical. It felt as if we were totally transformed into a world of our own. Everyone in the room, probably about fifty or so people if I had to guess, were all friendly and non-judgmental. We had all levels, regulars, newbies, and even other instructors who would attend. Once class would start I was able to forget any schoolwork or life which was getting me down. I used to go with friends, so we’d hype each other up and all walk back home together.

Workout partner
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
In the remote world, it still feels like I get to forget about the world for a little while and just be. Our instructor Margaret always preaches about self-love, hypes us up, and accommodates to what type of songs or direction we’re feeling for that class. She even works through technical issues if any occur and puts her all into every class session despite it being online. I really am thankful for her as an instructor and Zumba as a workout since both help my confidence and lower my stress levels. I’d highly recommend Zumba to anyone who wants to have fun while feeling good and sweating it out. Plus you’ll definitely find new songs to add to your playlist!

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.