This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Hi there! It is week 9 which means we are one week closer to ending the winter quarter. If you are reading this, congratulations on holding it down! Going through midterms week is exhausting but here are some ways to control your stress for the upcoming weeks. 

white pillows and white bedding
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

Wake up earlier than usual

I always feel sluggish and unproductive when I wake up late because it feels like I missed part of the day and, not to mention, breakfast. I also wake up grumpier. Choosing to wake up at an earlier time allows me to have more time for myself in the mornings. There’s no need to rush anymore, you have the time to really put effort into your morning routine. By waking up earlier, it helps build a healthier sleeping schedule because you’ll end up falling asleep not too late. 

woman sitting at a table covering her face with her hand
Photo by Pragyan Bezbaruah from Pexels

Hydrate yourself

Drinking lots of water throughout the day is vital for taking care of your health. It makes me feel energized and my skin has been glowing. I also get to flush out all the bad toxins from my body as well. Water is key to life.

Making a list 

I found that making a list of my due dates and other tasks help make my days easier. I get to just open my planner and see what work I have to do for the day. There’s no need to worry about thinking about what to do and stressing over feeling unorganized because the planner will keep you in check. Not to mention, will remind you of important tasks as well. 

woman with pink hair in blue and pink tie dye shirt in forest
Photo by Cut Collective from Unsplash

Go outside

I cannot stress how important this is. Going outside and acknowledging your surroundings help clear my mind. It helps make me appreciate what I have and that midterms shouldn’t dictate my entire anxiety. There’s more to life than just stressing over school, to be honest. Getting that fresh air and feeling the warmth from the sun is something I find beneficial for enhancing my mood and appreciating the environment I am in. 

Implementing these steps into your days will provide a step closer to success and good health. If the mind is not in a great state, you will feel burned out just like I did freshman year of college. I feel more organized and motivated to complete my tasks because it’s not all over the place. Try these little things and trust me, you will feel much better during the upcoming weeks. You got this!

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.