Style > Beauty

What You Need to Know About Getting Eyelash Extensions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I remember the day I first got my eyelash extensions. It was a Saturday morning before going to a pool party. I was so excited, I told every single person at that pool that I had just gotten eyelash extensions and gave them my recommendations. Eyelash extensions are a game changer. Not only do they make you feel flawless as soon as you open your eyes from that 2 hour lash-nap, but they are so easy to care for; I found myself wearing less and less makeup when I had them and feeling more and more confident about myself. Here are some tips if you’re thinking about getting lashes for the first time!

Tip #1: Know the Commitment! Getting lashes is a ~4 week commitment that will range anywhere from $50-$200 for a new set. After 2-4 weeks a fill will cost you usually about half of the price of your original set. If you decide you don’t want them anymore, it’s a process to get them out. You either have to let them fall out or use vaseline on your eyes and gently let them come unglued (which is totally not fun). So if you’re someone that is bad at commitments then maybe consider falsies before going the full send on lash extensions. 

Tip #2: Go to a good place!! I have heard lash horror stories of people going to sketchy salons because they just wanted lashes fast or for a low price. Read your yelp reviews, ask your friends where they got them, look at the pictures and reviews! One bad set and your eyelashes could have trouble growing back for a while. 

Photo courtesy of Cindy Tran for Daily Mail

Tip #3: You CAN clean them AND get them wet! When I first got my lashes I was too scared to even wash my face. The next few fills, I got a little more confident and found that washing your lashes and your face actually makes them last longer!! So, no need to stress about that pool day next week or your skincare regimen. Investing in a good cleanser is a game changer and can make sure you don’t harm your lashes. Just make sure the cleanser is oil free and safe for eyes! There are so many good lash cleansing tutorials on youtube or pinterest. 

Tip #4: You can customize them to however you want!! Big luxurious lashes, normal looking wispies, even sparkly or colored lashes. A good lash tech will always be accommodating and ready to try new things with your lashes, just make sure to listen to their advice if they’re discouraging a certain kind of lash for your eye. At the end of the day, they are professionals and they know what’s best!! 

Photo courtesy of Brighton Brows

All in all, I think getting lash extensions is such a win if you have the funds; I recommend them to everyone. Whether it’s for a special occasion or just for fun, lashes have the potential to totally change your confidence levels and outlook on life. So get your lash on, and enjoy the trip.

Grace LemMon

UC Riverside '22

It's Grace! I am a student at UC Riverside, studying Theatre, Film, and Digital Production. Post-grad I want to be a post-production editor and work one day as a big-shot producer. Most of all, I want to be thriving and passionate. In my free time, I'm surfing, drinking coffee, and watching new movies :-) instagram: gracejlemmon