This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

During the Spring of 2019, I began to break out in one area of my chin. Nothing I used would help clear it up, and I was growing desperate. I decided to focus and invest more in my skincare routine. But, as a college student, I was struggling to find products that were effective and were not high-end prices. After months of research, and trial and error, I can say that I found some phenomenal products. Some of these products helped my acne disappear, while others simply made my skin look healthy and glowing.

Naturally G4U

(Photo courtesy of Naturally G4U on Instagram)

The ingredients that caught my attention from this product were AHA(alpha hydroxy acids), which consists of things such as lactic acids and glycolic acid. AHA might sound scary, and I know they did to me because for some reason I thought they would be rough on my kind of sensitive skin. I decided to go ahead and try this product anyways because it had plenty of good reviews on Ulta. I was shocked to see the size, it is pretty small, but a small amount goes a long way. But you may be wondering, what are AHA’s? These acids take on bonds that are holding onto the dead skin on the surface, they “unglue” these bonds. Once these bonds come undone, your skin begins to shed, but you will not see your skin exfoliating, you will just feel and see smoother, glowing, younger-looking skin. 

Glycolic acid is part of the AHA family, therefore it also acts as an exfoliant. It is a safe acid that removes the dead skin off the surface and helps your skin’s renewal process. In addition to exfoliating, glycolic acid helps with discolorations from age and sun spots. It also aids skin that is prone to blackheads, whiteheads, and acne by keeping your pores clear from anything that clogs them.

I got my peel, that can be used overnight for a deep treatment or for 5 minutes, at Ulta for $14.99. This is pricier than I would like, but has been worth the investment. After having dull and blemished skin, I just cared that this product gave my skin a fresh and healthy look.

Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner

(Photo courtesy of Mario Badesu on Instagram)

I decided to focus on products that contain AHA’s because I liked the results I got from them. This toner is not recommended to use on acne-prone skin. Therefore, I began to use this once I cleared the breakout I had on my chin. This was a toner I gravitated towards because I read that it was meant for more dry-mature skin because it was hydrating. I do not have mature skin yet, but once winter starts, my skin gets extremely dry around my mouth and chin area; so I wanted to get as many hydrating products as I could. My skin is usually oily so I was afraid I would look too oily, but this toner is just the right amount of hydrating. The benefits of this product are that it helps brighten and balance skin, it combines with grapefruit and aloe to refine pores, as well as diminish the look of dry fine lines, wrinkles and uneven skin tone. You end up with a radiant and hydrated complexion.

I got my bottle at Ulta for $18, which again is more than I typically spend on skincare. However, I was willing to invest more on skincare because my me and my skin were worth it. I also had coupons and points saved up so things came out a bit cheaper.

The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA

(Photo courtesy of My Skin Care Corner on Instagram)

This is the product that changed my skincare routine forever, and one I will continue to repurchase. This product from The Ordinary, intimated be at first because I had never applied a direct acid onto my skin. So to be sure I did not have a negative reaction to it, I tested a drop on an area of my arm rather than my face. This acid offers mild exfoliation and contains Tasmanian Pepperberry to help reduce irritation and inflammation that can be caused by lactic acid. It is advised to only use this product for short duration because it can be strong, and so I stopped using it frequently once my breakout disappeared. From the first two or three days of using this product, my skin changed so much – the breakout disappeared within the first week and a half. 

Although from this experience this is a very effective product, it can also be dangerous if used carelessly. So, I recommend that you do a quick test on an area on your arm and also use sunscreen everyday, especially because your skin becomes sensitive to sunlight because of its shedding from the exfoliation that this and other products do.

I got my little bottle from Ulta as well for the great price of $6.80. This is very inexpensive and very effective. I recommend it but also warn you to use it with caution.

(Photo courtesy of Kim Carpenter on Unsplash)

It is crazy how much our skin reflects our health and lack of attention to ourselves sometimes. I was careless about my skin for many months and was paying for it. We are beautiful no matter the condition of our skin, but it is also nice to take care of it as an act of love for ourselves. Give your skin and yourself all the attention and love. it doesn’t even need to be an expensive product,  just something that makes you feel better. Also a quick note, what works for me might not work for you and that is totally fine, we all have cool and diverse skin types. Remember to be cautious about what you add to your skincare!

Araceli Martinez

UC Riverside '20

Hi, I'm a 4th-year Political Science Major with a minor in Labor Studies. My hope is to create relatable content that will help others feel empowered or that they are not alone.