Wellness

Practicing Self-Care as the Semester Starts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The start of fall is undoubtedly a hectic time for most students. It’s been a few weeks since fall quarter started for the UCs, and I’ve already found myself in a blur of adjusting to a new campus, managing the workload of my classes, and balancing working and extracurriculars.

When the list of assignments and stressors seems to never stop growing, many of us put our health on the backburner— which isn’t sustainable in the long run, and actively harms our performance as well. To start this school year on the right foot, here are five methods that work best for me when I need to take a step back from my stress and prioritize myself:

1. squeeze something new in your schedule

Making time for experimentation and growth amidst a busy schedule is difficult, but the benefits are worthwhile. I’ve found some of my favorite hobbies during stressful times in my life— I started crocheting and consistently working out during my senior year of high school when college decisions, financial stress, and future steps were on the forefront of my mind. Allowing myself to reset my state of mind helped me stay calm when facing major decisions. Giving time to myself also allowed me to better understand my own ambitions and goals.

2. doing nothing isn’t the break you think it is

We’ve all fallen into the habit of “doomscrolling” on social media during a free moment, or mapping out all the work we have without bringing ourselves to start. These breaks often leave you feeling worse than before, as they aren’t mindful relaxation as much as they are distracting yourself. When you’re taking time off, allow yourself to focus on yourself completely, and do what’s best for you to recharge rather than being stuck in the limbo of neither working nor resting.

3. check in with your loved ones

While you may not always be able to meet up with friends or family, a quick check-in can go a long way! Try to fit in a quick message between classes, a call while you’re driving, or even mail letters! Staying connected over the little moments, as well as clearly communicating when you’re too busy to do so, helps you be there for the major events in your loved ones’ lives as well. Being able to stay involved will strengthen your relationships while giving you a place to share your own thoughts and feelings.

4. stay in touch with yourself

Your late teens and early twenties are a unique time where everyone is discovering more about themselves. This definitely includes making friends and trying new activities, but I think it’s equally important to spend time in your own company. When you can, take a moment to take a walk outside, meditate, or revisit an old hobby. I’d especially recommend journaling— it’s a great way to verbalize your feelings and understand what’s contributing to your current state of mind! Regardless of the method, allow yourself time to feel your emotions, know your priorities, and understand who you are at this moment.

5. look back on how far you’ve come!

No matter what stage of life you’re in, it likely hasn’t been easy to come this far. It’s easy to forget our own achievements in the chaos of everyday life. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a moment to think about the bigger picture— recognize how far you’ve come and the reasons you’re proud of yourself! You’ve gotten through every challenge before, and you’re going to get through whatever is up ahead.

Omisha Sangani

UC Riverside '25

Omisha is an undergraduate student majoring in biology and planning to pursue medicine. She enjoys writing about wellness, life experiences, and academics. Outside of school and work, her interests include nature, fitness, art, and volunteering in her community.