Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I turned twenty-one this April and despite it being in quarantine, I was so happy! While I was enjoying the fact that I could buy alcohol on my own, I was quickly reminded that I was due for my first pap smear. I knew the test would be invasive, but I never really understood what it was for and why it has to be done. After turning to Planned Parenthood’s website for help and asking the women around me what it is, I learned that it checks for any abnormalities for those with a cervix.

I scheduled my appointment for October because of COVID. To prepare, I showered and made sure I was in comfortable jeans to take off. Luckily I’ve seen my doctor before, and she had seen me (if you know what I mean), so I wasn’t too embarrassed. The staff was friendly as always and I waited about ten minutes maximum for my doctor. 

If you haven’t been to an OGBYN before, it is really typical like the movies or TV shows. The most common phrase your doctor will say is “scoot down for me please.” I always think of Jane the Virgin where Jane, the main character, goes in for her pap smear and ends up artificially inseminated instead. Although I wasn’t going to have Rafael Solano as my baby daddy, the thought made it a little more bearable.

medical worker takes a swab test
Photo by Mufid Majnun from Unsplash
The most uncomfortable part was when the speculum was fully inserted. For me, I couldn’t fully focus on what my doctor was saying since she was also collecting a sample of my cervix. The pain was mostly due to the stretching, but it was over as quickly as it began. 

I’m really happy I went to get this done though. Even if it is uncomfortable, I felt really accomplished. This will help take care of me in the future. With COVID, I feel like health is something that was once taken for granted and I want to be more conscious of my body’s needs in all aspects of my health.

pink stethoscope
Photo by Christopher Boswell from Unsplash
When it comes to sexual health, it can be the least talked about because of the discomfort it may carry for some and the awkwardness that comes with talking about sex. I really hope this article can help inspire y’all to get tested for STIs or STDs, make your pap appointments, enjoy and practice safe sex, and have conversations about your experiences! 

You deserve to give your body the best care and to take care of yourself.

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.