The Importance of Connections: Clubs and Organizations Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

I’m pretty sure everyone has heard the saying, “It’s not what you know but who you know.” If you haven’t, then maybe you do not know the right people. It is believed that it is who you know that will get you the job, but what you know will keep your job. That one personal connection could be the reason you get hired over someone who possibly knew more than you.  

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a friend of mine, Alex, who graduated recently with a B.S. in Computer Science. She mentioned all the applications she had turned and all the interviews she had. She had even applied to jobs that were not related to her major because she really needed a job.

It is becoming harder and harder to find a decent paying job after college. Alex had the experience and had worked for different companies, but for some reason kept getting overlooked.  On the other hand, Alex met someone who literally had nothing but a high school diploma, but currently has one of the top positions in the company. How did she get the job? Through her “friend who “knows someone who knows someone who knows another person that knows someone that works in that company.””.

Some people do get lucky, and are able to get their foot in the door through connections alone rather than relying solely on their experience. More often than not, however, you still need to have some experience in the field for which you are applying. One easy way to get basic experience and make connections while in college is through joining clubs and organization on campus (like Her Campus). Getting involved in clubs on campus allows you to make multiple connections and allows you to while gaining valuable experience.

Here are a few tips to help you make the most of the organization you’re in:

1. Go to meetings! I cannot stress that enough. There is no way you can keep those connections, or even make them, if you do not attend meetings and events. If you are trying to be on the board of any organization then you have to attend meetings. It will show the board members that you are serious about their organization and that you are interested.

2. Don’t only attend meetings, contribute. If you contribute ideas for an event they’re planning or something else, then they will definitely start to take notice to you. Your input is valuable! And if you continue to come to meetings and contribute, you might be offered a board position next quarter. Even if they don’t offer you one, you can always ask. And because they saw how involved you were, your request will most likely be granted. The best part is, once you get that board position, you can now put that on your resume and that could help you stand out from other applicants. It also let’s the employer know that you were involved on campus and did not just go to class and back to you apartment.  

3. Lastly, stay connected. Stay connected with your classmates—even after graduation. You never know who might be the one to look at your application or resume.

Hey! My name is Jessica Bayliss and I am a 3rd year at UC Riverside. I am studying Public Policy in hopes to become a policy analyst after graduating. I love watching Netflix and hanging with friends in my free time.
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.