This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

The end of the school year is almost here. However, I feel like the busyness of college life doesn’t stop. In fact, these last few weeks of my third year are probably the most eventful weeks of the school year. I am trying to balance things I need to do with things I want to do. There is just too much going on that I am constantly feeling burnt outHow do I persevere to the end of the year while taking care of my mental health?

I have been asking myself a lot of questions: “Why am I so busy?”, “Is there anything I need to cut out of my life?”, etc. With no midterm tests, I thought this quarter would be easy academically. A couple weeks into the quarter, I realized I severely underestimated the time I would spend reading assigned papers and writing essays. I took on more responsibilities in a psychology lab, progressed on my research project, worked in a restaurant, and planned an end of the year prom for the student organization I am president of. Being an overachiever has always been something I’ve struggled with, and now I feel like I’ve invested so much time in every task that I don’t want to back out of anything. I am stubborn and don’t handle stress well. Change needs to start with myself and learning to take care of my mental health. 

If you relate to how I’m feeling, one piece of advice is that it’s okay to say no to things. Even if you initially agreed to help with someone else’s part of a research project or to work overtime, it’s okay to change your mind and give yourself time to rest. When someone else backs out of something, it is kind of you to take on their task. However, don’t feel like you always need to be the one who has to complete others’ work. This is something I’ve been learning. If someone calls in sick at work, I don’t always have to be the one who says “yes” to picking up their shift. Your mental health is your priority. 

While some commitments are easier to get out of than others, giving yourself time to figure out your priorities will benefit you in the future, so you don’t end up overscheduling again next school year. For instance, you may need to prioritize school over work, especially if your current job is unrelated to what you want to do as a future career. However, prioritizing rest is also valid in many situations. I am stubborn about never skipping class, but do not feel like you need to attend your 8 am lecture, especially if you have a midterm and/or a presentation later in the day. Being attentive for most of the day and just missing one lecture will probably benefit your learning and grades more than attending your lecture, not paying attention, and being tired for the rest of the day. 

The final tip I have is knowing that it is okay to not do every assigned task immediately and to make gaps in your schedule. Those gaps can be used to rest or hang out with friends. Even though these things may seem like a waste of time, they can be beneficial to your mental health. Sleep and social interaction are necessary for people to function. College is a time of finding yourself and having some freedom before working full time. There is no shame in having fun whether it’s eating at your favorite restaurant for the fifth time in one month or going somewhere new.

With the school year coming to an end, I encourage you to prioritize your mental health and let yourself have fun amidst the busyness of academics, work, or other duties.

Angie Louie

UC Riverside '24