This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

With the world going insane and the numbers of COVID-19 cases increasing, it is hard to keep calm. I have not left the house unless it was for groceries, work, or to the bank. It’s crazy how many people I see outside but if we stay in and remain calm and cautious, we will get through this together! Let’s help flatten the curve. Here are some tips on how to remain sane during this pandemic. 

1. Stop watching the news. 

I know the news is very informative, but it tends to exaggerate everything. It is leading people to become paranoid and act inhumane, for example, like stealing from other people’s cars and shopping carts, or treating the workers badly due to being scared of the virus. People are becoming more anxious and it is interfering with their mental health. If you are home, you are safer than being outside and reduce the possibility of getting sick. Stressing in the house isn’t going to make the pandemic stop. It starts with your mindset on remaining calm and smart. The less you watch the news, the less paranoid you will be. There are many stories of people recovering from the virus which they fail to highlight on television. 

2. Find a show to binge watch

Being home can be boring but watching shows is fun. With school starting amidst the pandemic outbreak, watching a show allows you to escape reality for a bit and laugh a little. Trust me, it will kill some time and take your mind off the harsh reality for a bit.

3. Workout at home

This is the perfect time to workout at home because you can’t find an excuse not to! Lol. It is still important to remain healthy, especially since we can’t go out. No weights or gym at home? No problem. You can search on YouTube for “At-home workouts” and there will be thousands of videos for you to try. 

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

4. Do some chores that you have been putting off

Admit it, there are some things that you need to clean in your room or around the house but you just haven’t gotten around to it, either  because it’s too much work or just boring. Honestly,cleaning up my room and organizing some things feels therapeutic. It releases that pent up anxiety you may have.

5. Call your friends/loved ones frequently

I know that this is a hard time to socialize but let’s take advantage of  our smartphones and wifi to connect with people. Talking to your friends or loved ones can really create a closure between you two and also be able to relate to one another since everyone is experiencing the same thing. Being completely closed off is not the right way to remain calm during this pandemic. 

person holding iphone outside
Photo by Paul Hanaoka from Unsplash

I hope these tips can help you. This is a very rough time, but we should be grateful that we can be with our families, pets, and  have the technology to connect with people online. We can get through this. The more we stay inside, the faster we can go back to our regular lifestyle. Be patient and know that this is not the end. Call your loved ones, read a book, watch your favorite show, work out, find a hobby inside your home. We can do this! Safety comes first so don’t worry, your friends aren’t going anywhere! Remain at peace and most importantly, be SMART and safe.

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.