Homemade Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Brr it’s cold here in Riverside! The temperature is dropping and it finally feels like winter. Just perfect weather for hot cocoa and some warm cookies! Follow the recipe below to make some homemade chocolate peppermint cookies.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of light brown sugar
1 1/3 cup of flour
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1 stick of butter (soften)
1 egg
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
peppermint drops
milk chocolate chips

Directions:
1. You will start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F
2. You then will need two bowls:
– one for your dry mixture: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder
– one for your wet mixture: butter, egg, sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla extract
3. Start with your wet mixture: mix the butter, sugar, and light brown sugar until you get a smooth consistency then add the egg & vanilla extract 
4. Then you will spoon in your dry mixture in small portions and mix thoroughly 
-repeat until you have added all your dry ingredients
5. Next you will form the dough into small balls, roughly into a ping pong size ball
-Also, add a few chocolate chips into each dough ball
6. Place the dough onto the cookie sheet with parchment paper
7. The cookies will take about 10-15 minutes to bake
8. After you take the cookies out, immediately add some crushed peppermint drops on top of the warm cookies

Enjoy the cookies! Also, you can package these cookies into a nice jar with a hot cocoa packet nicely wrapped and give it as a lovely gift. Since the holidays are just around the corner, your friends and loved ones will appreciate this gift made with love and care!

Elizabeth Duong

UC Riverside

Hello! I am Elizabeth, a senior Neuroscience major at UC Riverside. A few things I fancy: photography, fashion, and thrift stores. Find me on other social medias: http://postcardsfromliz.blogspot.com/ and on YouTube: user - postcardsfromliz. 
UC Riverside

UC Riverside