This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

When it comes to nutrition, vegans and vegetarians get a bad reputation from society because they choose to cut out meat and dairy products from their diet. Meat eaters look down on those who prefer to get their protein source from plants simply because they think it is a delusional idea. They argue that it is an irrational idea to cut out meat due to having a lack of protein in your diet. However, being vegan or vegetarian does not mean that there is a lack of protein. If you are considering cutting out meat or consuming less of it, here is a list of foods that contain protein.

Tofu, chickpeas, and soy milk on a table
Photo by Polina Tankilevitch from Pexels

Tofu 

Tofu is made from soybeans and is a very popular meat substitute. You can eat it in different ways such as in a stir-fry, soups, egg scramble, and many more. Each block of tofu contains 15.57 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbs. There are many health benefits to tofu such as decreasing risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and supporting kidney function. Overall, it is a filling food that also provides lots of nutrients. 

“assorted fruits on display in store” on unsplash
Photo by Mehrad Vosoughi from Unsplash

Edamame

Edamame is a premature soybean that contains high protein. In a cup, it is low in fat, contains 17 grams of protein, and 15 grams of carbohydrates. It is a delicious food to snack on and is eaten in small amounts. It is rich in vitamin K, iron, and folate which can lower cholesterol and blood sugar as well as reduce cramps. 

Lentils

Lentils are a filling legume that is rich in protein, iron, and fiber. The legume is low in sodium and fat which is beneficial for heart health and bloating. It is easy to make and can be served as rice or in soup. 

Chick Peas
Christin Urso / Spoon

Chickpea

Chickpeas are another substitute for meat. They are high in protein and low in fat. It can be served in salads, rice bowls, substitute tuna, and many more. It is well-known for being an ingredient in hummus, which many people enjoy when eating Mediterrenan food. Chickpeas play a major role in healthy eating in which “emerging research suggests that chickpeas and hummus may play a beneficial role in weight management and glucose and insulin regulation, as well as have a positive impact on some markers of cardiovascular disease (CVD).”

If you are tired of meat or choose to cut it out from your everyday meals, try these foods to not only enjoy a delicious vegetarian meal, but also nourish your body with micronutrients and vitamins. It is very easy to prepare and is affordable. 

Jenita Raksanoh

UC Riverside '21

Jenita is a Media and Cultural Studies major at the University of California, Riverside. She enjoys meal prepping, working out, having photoshoots and discovering trendy food spots. Her goal is to motivate women to become healthier and become the best version of themselves. Being a young woman in college has taught her not only academically but mentally as well, which is why she is driven to help others through Her Campus.
Deedee Plata

UC Riverside '22

20 year old creative writing major with a love for skincare, representation, and art. When not laying down and watching cartoons, I can be found working on my novel or browsing through baby name forums.