This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Finals are now rapidly approaching as we reach the conclusion of our quarters and semesters. As we enter this  stressful time, here are two areas of focus for finals to help prepare for our upcoming exams

Photo by Weheart It

Academic Success

To increase your academic success during finals, my TA recommended making a plan of attack. This should be sometime before finals week where you have enough time to cover all the material you should before the test. In this plan of attack, there should also be a “day before” the final;it’s important to get enough sleep to solidify what you learned over the time leading up to itIf you are able to, you should definitely try to exerciseevery now and then to reducestress. 

Before the final, you should also try to go to your TA or professor’s office hours. Another method of review and receiving the right information is to make an appointment at the Academic Resource Center for tutoring. They allow up to four people with one tutor, so feel free to invite your friends!

Lastly, it’s important to know what type of studying works best for you in order to be successful academically. This can be visual, auditory, tactile, or a combination of  these 

Photo by Atlassian

Individual Success

The other aspect to focus on when preparing for finals is the aspect of yourself. Often, we place ourselves towards the middle or even the end of our priorities. However, finals is THE time to be selfish. Taking care of yourself is vital to your academic success. Keeping up with eating and sleep is the best way to take care of yourself. That would be the minimum, but expanding on taking care of yourself could be working out or doing hobbies you may like. 

It’s important to take breaks every now and then between studying to avoid becoming restless or cramming too much information at one time.

Photo by EdSurge

Although finals are daunting, if you take care of yourself, your academics are sure to follow suit. Remember to listen to your body and what it needs. Also, don’t be afraid to make that study group or send that email! You got this and good luck for finals!

Mya Benavides

UC Riverside '21

Lover of kindness, music, and creating. Undergrad at UCR pursuing a B.A. in Sociology along with a Minor in English.