Aaron Hunro: Doctor and Actor in the making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Major: Theatre: Film-Making and Pre-Medicine

Age: 23

Hometown: Long Beach, CA

Interesting Facts: Born in the Inland Empire, raised in Long Beach. I have a half-brother. I’m full Cambodian. I’m trilingual. I’ve visited three out of seven continents. I’ve been to 32 out of 50 states. And I want to be on the Amazing Race one day.

Hobbies: Playing football, basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball. Making music and rapping. Making short films, videos and vlogs. And volunteering with children.

Favorite Quote: “Aspire to inspire before you expire.”

Current Occupation: Graduating Super Senior

Organizations currently involved/positions: UCR Avengers Intramural Flag Football: Co-Captain, Moreno Valley Jr. Falcons Flag Football: Coach, Global Medical Brigades: Publicity Board Member, UCR Student Alumni Association: Media Relations Board Member

What has been your memorable moment here at UC Riverside? My most memorable moment at UCR has to be winning my first UCR Intramural flag football All-Campus championship with the Avengers during my first quarter here. It was a team full of third years and I was the only first year, yet they welcomed me to the team. We ended up beating the best team in the school and defending champions. That championship was memorable because it started something that meant a lot to me. The Avengers are more than an intramural team, it’s a family and a continued tradition. They were established before I got here and will continue to be here after I graduate. Everyone is still supportive of one another even after all these years. Most players are current and future health care providers so I guess you can say we’re a team of heroes.

During Winter break, you went on a medical brigade at Honduras, what was the experience like? It was a humbling experience. It was tough to see how people live in a third-world country but it was awesome to see them have a smile on their face, enjoy life and be so grateful for what we were able to do for them. I also went in June but this time around was much more rewarding. There was a patient who reminded me of my grandmother. When my grandmother passed away there was nothing I could do to save her but knowing that I was able to do something this time to help this Honduran grandmother made the trip so much more fulfilling and worthwhile. It truly meant a lot to me. Finally, the best part of the experience was to be able to interact with the children and see them laugh and smile, which definitely confirmed what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

What made you start your company, Hunro Images & Media? Many of my friends were graduating last year and they needed someone to take pictures so I took theirs for free then people started to ask me to take theirs as well and so I did that at a relatively lower price than most studios. I’ve also been a videographer for a wedding in which I charged a lot less as well. I just wanted to give people what they needed without ripping them off, while enjoying my hobby.

What are your short and long term goals? My short term goal is to graduate with one last Dean’s List so I could make the Chancellor’s list. My long term goal is to practice medicine in the Inland Empire as a pediatrician.

What are you passionate about? I’m passionate about a lot of things. I’m passionate when I play sports, when I write my music. But ultimately I’m most passionate about being able to help make a positive difference in someone else’s life and put a smile on their face.

What are your plans after graduation? And what do you wish to do with your degree? Study non-stop for the MCAT. Do a post-baccalaureate program. Then apply for medical school. I want to fuse my creativity with my passion for medicine and bring in a new approach to how we connect with patients and to medicine as a whole.

Advice for continuing students here at UC Riverside? Others may influence you in one or more ways but ultimately it’s all up to you and what decisions you make so do what makes you happy. People are going to judge you anyway so brush it off and keep living your life passionately and enjoy the time that you have here.

Who do you look up to? First and foremost, my dad. He came here as an orphan, refugee and Killing Fields survivor and made it all the way to become a Physician Assistant. I also admire Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino for being so talented and his ability to do so many things well (acting, rapping, screenwriting, comedy etc.). And finally two physicians who also entertainers and performers, Dr. Patch Adams & Dr. Ken Jeong (Mr. Chow from the Hangover series).

If you could be anyone else, who would it be? I honestly wouldn’t want to be anything or anyone else but myself. And when people tell me that “I do too many things and to just choose one thing to focus on.” I reply with, “Why? We only have one life and we’re given so many talents and skills. Why should we limit ourselves?”

If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be? R. Kelly – The World’s Greatest

If you won the lottery, what will be the first thing you would do? Buy my mom a house.

Advice for Contacting Aaron Hunro: You can follow me on Twitter or Instagram @aaronangkor. Like my Facebook fanpage at https://www.facebook.com/theaaronangkor. Subscribe to me on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/user/aaronjrhimself. Or if you see me, just say hello!

UC Riverside

UC Riverside