80’s and 90’s Films You’ll Love This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to consist of a night spent out and about. If you’re choosing to cozy up and stay inside, these films are perfect for giving you a blast from the past with a twist of romance. Whether you’re spending Valentine’s with a significant other, friends, family, or by yourself, you’ll enjoy these 80’s and 90’s movies on this night of love.

1. Sixteen Candles (1984)

(Gif via Giphy – SmilesLovesYou on Tumblr)

Molly Ringwald stars as Samantha Baker, a young girl whose 16th birthday is forgotten by her entire family. This film is a coming-of-age story in which Samantha also struggles with her big secret: she has a crush on a very popular senior, Jake Ryan. Relatable, right? Who doesn’t love the 80’s heartthrob? Although it all seems to be going in a horrible direction, in the end, her life and birthday aren’t such a disaster.

P.S. we’re all still dreaming of our very own Jake Ryan, waiting for us by a shiny, red car, and wishing us a happy birthday with a kiss.

1. Pretty in Pink (1986)

(Gif  via Giphy – HBO)

Ringwald is once again the star of this film and portrays Andie, a high school outcast who is  crushing on a popular rich kid, Blaine. Coming from two different worlds, it complicates their entire relationship. Aside from the drama the film entails, it’s one to make you reminisce on the feelings of a first love. There is also the cute, comedic Duckie, who is Andie’s best friend – and is in love with her. Would you have chosen Duckie? This amazing mixture of comedy and drama make this teen romance a must-see this Valentine’s Day.

1. Dirty Dancing (1987)

(Gif via Giphy – AmericanFilmInstitute on Tumblr)

A personal favorite of mine is the romance drama, Dirty Dancing. This film is charming and the film to make your stomach flutter with butterflies. From the dancing, to the concept of forbidden love, and let’s not forget heartthrob Patrick Swayze, you’ll be sure to find this film enchanting this Valentine’s Day. I mean – who doesn’t want to reenact the iconic lift scene?

4. Say Anything (1989)

(Gif via Giphy – Good Reads)

This 1989 coming-of-age comedy-drama is a definite must have on your films to watch this Valentine’s Day night in. In the end, you’ll be wishing for your very own Lloyd to serenade you with a boombox.

5. She’s All That (1999)

(Gif via Giphy – MarioTheKing on Tumblr)

Cue Sixpence None The Richer’s song, “Kiss Me”. This late 90’s classic is one of the most famous teen films of the decade. Starring one of the hunk’s of the decade, Freddie Prinze Jr., it’s no surprise this comedy-drama struck the hearts of many. Popular high school jock, Zach, places a bet with his friend as he struggles to live up to his reputation. The bet is simple: turn outcast Laney into the next prom queen. Although your heart will break a few times, it’s still such a cute film. Will they end up happily, kissing beneath the milky twilight?

6. Never Been Kissed (1999)

(Gif via Giphy – Bustle)

The beautiful Drew Berrymore is the star of this heartfelt romantic comedy. If you’re looking for a cute, quirky love story to bring tears to your eyes: this is it.

This film mixes the complications of love and drama amongst adulthood and teenage youth. Josie Geller is sent on an assignment by her newspaper editor to impersonate a teenage girl to find an “inside scoop” on teenage culture. While on the job and pretending to be a teenage girl at a high school, she must deal with a complication: she’s fallen for her teacher. And in the end, she reveals her biggest secret: she’s never been kissed. But does she end up getting it?

7. Can’t Buy Me Love (1987)

(Gif via Giphy – WhyILoveRomComs on Tumblr)

This 80’s coming-of-age teen film stars one of today’s most loved hunks, Patrick Dempsey. Even if a young Dempsey and Amanda Peterson aren’t enough to make you watch, the cute and complex storyline is sure to pull at your hearts strings.  

Nerdy Ronald Miller has a secret crush on popular cheerleader, Cindy Mancini, and desires to be popular. When she finds herself in a predicament, Ronald uses this as an opportunity to save her and climb the social ladder. He pays Cindy $1,000 to pretend to date him for a month. As the month goes on, Cindy finds herself falling for Ronald. Eventually, popularity gets the best of him and he learns it isn’t everything. Watch as they fall in love, fight, learn, and find happiness.

8. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

(Gif via Giphy – Carolizzette on Tumblr)

The iconic 90’s film, 10 Things I Hate About You, is a great go-to for people all year round, but is a must-see on your Valentine’s Day movie night. Starring the amazing Heath Ledger, this teen drama is sure to make you shed some tears and choke up. High school is complicated enough, but add weird house rules and scheming, you’re in for a rollercoaster of a ride. But let’s be honest, we all wish we had a Patrick Verona of our own to sing Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons’s “I Love You Baby” – while being chased by school security.

There are a ton of films from the 80’s and 90’s I love to watch all year round. But, spending Valentine’s Day cozied up is the perfect excuse to binge watch these classics – for anyone. Whether you’re looking for solely romance, or a mix with comedy, or a cute coming-of-age, these are the films perfect to make your Valentine’s night in special and fun.

Emily Villanueva

UC Riverside '20

This year's current Social Media Director and Co-Editor @ Her Campus UCR! UCR Alumna - Creative Writing major with a minor in Theatre, Film and Digital Production. You'll find me in my element when traveling, writing, taking photos, watching 80's films and listening to oldies. I strive to work in the film industry as a screenwriter, or work in the entertainment industry as a whole. I hope my work inspires you, or is helpful!
Hi, I'm Savannah. I'm currently a Senior at UCRiveride studying Sociology. After graduation, I'm looking into doing Public Relations with a media and entertainment company. My favorite things to do are find the best shopping deals and go on road trips.