This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

Working out takes a lot of time and motivation, two things a lot of people lack in today’s society. The excuses continue to pile up and everyone is either too busy or too tired to try and get their fitness routine in check. These three enjoyable fitness classes will have you looking forward to working out.

1. Yoga

(Photo courtesy of StyleCraze)

Derived from the sanskrit word meaning ‘union’, Yoga combines physical and mental exercises to unify the individual self with the Divine. In buddhism, it is regarded as a religious pathway. In addition, there are numerous health benefits associated with practicing Yoga that are unrelated to its religious origin. Some of these benefits include: improved flexibility, build up of muscle strength, perfected posture, and the prevention of joint breakdown. In order to achieve this, many classes focus training on the mind, body, and breath through a series of poses. This is a great class for those who enjoy effective workouts at a slower pace.

2. Zumba

(Photo courtesy of Vitaforme)

Created by Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto Perez in the late 90s, Zumba combines dance and aerobic exercises. Set to energetic music, this fitness class incorporates hip-hop, soca, samba, salsa, and mambo choreography. A one hour session burns approximately 600 to 100 calories! Not only is it great for weight loss, but it also tones your entire body by targeting different groups of muscles and boosts your heart health. You’ll be having so much fun by the end of it that you will forget you were even working out.

3. Cardio Kickboxing

(Photo courtesy of FitBodyBuzz)

Don’t be intimidated by the name. This fitness class combines martial arts techniques with cardio to create a fast paced workout suitable for beginners and athletes alike. A non-contact exercise, this choreography involves punches, jabs, kicks, and knee strikes that are thrown into either in the air or onto matts. There’s a strong focus on muscle building and core strengthening exercises, which makes cardio kickboxing a full body workout that challenges your endurance and keeps your heart strong.

Whether you want to start off slow or jump straight into an intense workout, these three fitness classes are fun and suitable for all levels – from beginners all the way to the pros. Check out your local gym or search for independent studios and sign up today. It will be worth your time.

Samantha Park

UC Riverside '22

Poet || Writer || Editor Find me somewhere drinking coffee and reading Sylvia Plath