Style > Beauty

Unlocking the Secrets of Ayurveda: How Indian Skincare is Revolutionising the Beauty Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC London chapter.

Discover the ancient secrets of Ayurveda, born over 5000 years ago in India. This holistic approach to wellness believes that every person has a unique mind-body type, or “dosha”, which determines their physical, mental, and emotional characteristics. At its core, Ayurveda aims to help you achieve optimal health and radiate beauty from the inside out. Embrace this timeless tradition and unlock the key to healthy, glowing skin.

Indian Ayurveda has become increasingly popular in the skincare industry because of  its emphasis on natural ingredients. This ancient practice is all about using ingredients like turmeric, honey, rose, aloe vera, saffron and sandalwood to promote wellness and healthy skin. Not only are these ingredients packed with antioxidants, but they also have antibacterial properties and are super calming and moisturising. That’s why Ayurvedic skincare products are flying off the shelves – they give you the radiant complexion you’ve been dreaming of!

It’s no secret that natural skincare has been all the rage lately, especially with the rise of DIY tutorials on YouTube and TikTok. And when it comes to a more holistic approach to beauty, Ayurveda is definitely having a moment. Lots of people believe in the idea that if it’s safe to eat, it’s safe to put on your face – and that’s exactly what Ayurveda is all about! Plus, loads of Bollywood actresses and Indian beauty influencers swear by Ayurvedic products as part of their daily skincare routine, which has made them even more popular with younger generations. 

Ayurvedic skincare knows that what you eat, how you deal with stress, and how you live your life can all affect the health of your skin. During the pandemic, many of us struggled with our mental health, and Ayurveda came to the rescue with its calming benefits and focus on overall wellness. Incorporating practices like face yoga, and facial massages using different tools like the Jade Roller and Guasha, as well as the incorporation of calming scents in the facial oils, all helped us feel better both inside and out.

Now let’s talk about where you can grab some amazing Ayurvedic goodies! Two of the most hyped Ayurvedic skincare brands are Forest Essentials and Kama Ayurveda, and guess what? They’ve both opened stores in London! That’s right, Ayurveda is going global and you can now get your hands on these amazing products no matter where you are in the world. If you’re looking for a more luxurious experience, Forest Essentials has got you covered. Their products are super fancy, so they do come with a higher price tag. On the other hand, if you’re on a budget but still want to take care of your skin, Kama Ayurveda is the way to go. They’ve got some amazing products that won’t break the bank. 

Both these brands have their own unique approach to Ayurveda, but one thing they have in common is their commitment to using natural and traditional ingredients. That means you can trust these products to help you achieve your skincare goals while staying true to nature. So, whether you’re a high-end skincare addict or a thrifty bargain hunter, there’s an Ayurvedic brand out there for you!

So what are you waiting for? Say goodbye to boring skincare and hello to Ayurveda! Incorporating Ayurvedic products into your routine is not only good for your skin, but it’s also good for your overall health and wellness. Plus, with all the natural ingredients and luxurious rituals, it’s a fun and relaxing way to take care of yourself!

Anahita Kapoor

UC London '25

Hi, I'm Anahita, and I'm from New Delhi, India. Currently, I am pursuing my undergraduate degree in Economics and Business with EES at UCL. As someone who has grown up in a patriarchal and highly misogynistic society, I have witnessed firsthand the struggles women face. This has fueled my passion for women's rights, and I am committed to making a difference in this area. In my free time, I love indulging in creative pursuits like writing poetry and reading books. I also enjoy playing the piano and exploring new places, cultures, and cuisines. Trying out new restaurants is one of my favourite pastimes, and I am always on the lookout for new culinary experiences.