Salley (from the Valley) Zheng

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

After my freshman year experience, I stopped expecting to gain much from a Resident Advisor. However, when Sally Zheng was assigned as my RA second year, this all changed. I was astonished by how much of an impact an RA could make on my life. Sally is not only my RA, but also my swim coach, friend, and mentor.

Name: Sally Zheng

Major and specialization: Mathematics and Psychology and Social Behavior

Hometown: Rowland Heights, CA

What are you involved in at UCI?

I am the founder and president of UCI Swim Club and I am also a Resident Advisor (RA) for Arroyo Vista Housing.

What is the most awkward thing that has happened to you as an RA?

One time I pronounced a resident’s name wrong for the entire year and he finally corrected me at the end of the school year.

Another time someone who was not a resident fell asleep in the study room under the table and that weirded me out. You guys should be more awkward so I can be awkward with you.

Can you tell me a little bit more about why you decided to start the swim club?

I have a passion for swimming and I wanted to spread the love of swim and find people who had a common interest. I wanted to build a fun, safe, competitive community where we could all do what we love.

What are your favorite hobbies outside of school?

Catching shells at the beach, swimming at the beach, playing beach volleyball, occasionally reading romantic dramas, and playing with my 2 Yorkshire Terriers at home.

What are your plans after you graduate from UCI?

I would probably enjoy going into Human Resources, counseling, or becoming a Resident Life Coordinator. Doing something similar to being an RA would be my ideal career.

What advice do you have for women hoping to pursue a major in Mathematics?

Definitely do not give up and don’t let other people tell you that you can’t do something. Math can be intimidating, especially if you happen to fail a class. Remember to be persistent and always follow through with your goals. If you take your time, anything is possible.

Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.