Running For Her Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

http://www.wbur.org/news/2016/09/09/kathrine-switzer-boston-marathon-50-years

October is a month dedicated to raising awareness about domestic violence. Oct. 19, also known as Domestic Violence Awareness Day, was the day the UCI Initiative to End Family Violence, UCI Center for Biotechnology, and Global Health Policy and UCI Exercise Medicine & Sports Sciences Initiative hosted, Running for Her Life, an event created to promote empowerment and bring attention to a widespread issue that affects millions around the world: domestic violence. Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to ever race in the Boston Marathon, and Elizabeth Gray, former Marine and recent feature in Runner’s World Magazine, came to share their stories and personal experiences with assault and domestic violence and how they overcame these barriers and found empowerment through running.

Kathrine Switzer, founder of 261 Fearless, a nonprofit that brings active women together through a global, supportive network, and recent member of the USA National Women’s Hall of Fame, came and retold her experience with assault and her journey to empower women through running. Back when she was a 20 year-old college student attending Syracuse University, Switzer realized the disparities between male and female opportunities, especially in the field of collegiate sports. Because there wasn’t a long distance running team for women, Switzer tried to join the men’s team. Though she was denied permission to officially join their team, she still trained alongside her male counterparts and ran the same distances they ran. She emphasized that during that time, there was one individual who inspired her to continue pursuing her passion for running. He was the local mailman, and went by the name: Arnie Briggs. Although Arnie was a 50 year old man, he was fully capable of coaching and running with her. Switzer looked up to him, and would listen to him tell tales of the happiest day of year: the day he ran the Boston Marathon.

It was an impulsive decision for Kathrine and Arnie to run the marathon together, but who would have known that Switzer’s decision would forever change the history of the Boston Marathon? Nevertheless, Switzer registered for the race under her initials and entered the race. During the race, the press immediately caught on that there was a woman competing in the Boston Marathon, an unprecedented sight that eventually reached the director of the race. As the runners sped off after the gunshot, the press followed her. A race official caught sight of her and ran onto the street to grab and pull her back. She remembered the moment as one of the most terrifying experiences in her life. However, this did not stop her from finishing the race. Her boyfriend pushed him back and she shook off the shock and fear that could have paralyzed her from completing her mission: crossing the finish line.

Since then, Kathrine’s story has had a profound impact on the community of women and runners around the world. She promotes self-empowerment in all shapes and forms and encourages everyone to empower others and to pass on opportunities to help others succeed. Images of her first marathon have become iconic, and her legacy in the women’s equality movement has become a source of empowerment all throughout.

http://scliving.coop/downloads/2966/download/elizabeth-gray-marathon-runner.png?cb=2c779f41cf16f35c1a41d15b2db97a58

Elizabeth Gray, a recent feature in Runner’s World Magazine, retold her transformational journey and battle through domestic violence. Gray had a strained relationship with her family from a young age. Having suffered from child molestation within her family and having endured the beatings and pain of an abusive relationship with her ex-husband, Gray found empowerment and will through the transformational sport of running. She dedicates every marathon she runs to a victim of domestic abuse and spreads her cause wherever she races.  In the end of October, Gray will have ran marathons in all 50 states.

Throughout this event, I found that their stories and words of encouragement resonated with me, as did so many other runners and individuals who have experiences with domestic violence/abuse. For anyone who has a love for long-distance running, we know that there is no feeling quite like feeling of accomplishment after finishing a long run, believing in yourself, and defying boundaries. For anyone who has also encountered, experienced, or witnessed domestic violence, their stories of overcoming and letting go of the anger and fear can teach and remind us that we have value and that nobody else should have the power to make us feel otherwise. If you know anyone who is going through this, support and let him/her know that he/she is not alone. The feeling of empowerment and self-value matter from a mental and physical standpoint; So take a stand against domestic abuse/violence and channel your inner strength to race forward.

Christine Chen

UC Irvine '19

Christine is one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at UC Irvine. In her free time, she enjoys reading books, listening to business tech podcasts, running, and making people smile! :)
Crystel Maalouf

UC Irvine '18

.