This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

February, otherwise known as the month of love or single-awareness month to many, is finally among us. It is a month of celebration, chocolates, and updated records. Whether or not romance is in or out for you this month, it’s a time when love feels most tangible. The beauty of this month is that you can wrap yourself up in a blanket of love songs and books (more than usual). I know I love to read and if you find yourself reaching for a good romance novel, here are a few I recommend. 

1. The Right Move by Liz Tomforde

Best friend’s brother. Sports romance. Fake dating trope combined with a terrible ex-boyfriend.

Need I say more?

This book is an absolute gem. It is the second book in the Windy City series and follows a serious and focused basketball player named Ryan and his twin sister’s best friend, Indy. This book is truly a page-turner, and the way they care about each other is so heartwarming. I found Ryan’s acts of service to be unmatched and Indy’s vibrant personality unforgettable.   

As a side note, each book is a stand-alone, but since the first book, “Mile High” follows Ryan’s sister’s love story, I recommend reading it first for the complete experience. Both books are memorable and swoon-worthy— Liz Tomforde did not disappoint!

1. Heartless by Elise Silver

Small town. Single dad. Grumpy/sunshine. 

I don’t know why I have never gotten into small-town cowboy romances before, but after reading this book, I have to say it might be one of my favourite themes yet. This book is the second book of the Chestnut Springs series even though the first one, Flawless, got me hooked, the second one beat it to the list because of the irresistible dynamic between the two characters. 

Will is such a sweetheart who nannies Cade’s son for the summer. She pushes his buttons and while their banter is hilarious, the sweet moments between them are unforgettable. I cannot recommend this book enough!

1. Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

This is for all the people in love with their best friend or are just craving a wholesome friends-to-lovers romance book. 

I cannot lie, this trope is usually one I avoid, but this book really is the exception. Elliot and Macy have been childhood friends, but all of a sudden something happens and they haven’t spoken in years before reconnecting in adulthood. Here’s the thing, though: he’s been in love with her the whole time.

Did I cry? I did. Did I laugh? I did. Did I squeal and bury my face in my pillow? Of course. 

This book is an absolute page-turner with chapters switching from past and present. It does involve certain serious matters that can be sensitive to read about, and that is important to mention, so be sure to look up trigger warnings if need be. However, the love story itself is so wholesome and these characters are such bookworms that it makes the story even better!

1. When in Rome by Sarah Adams

If you’re a fan of Luke and Lorelai in Gilmore Girls, then you will love this book. She’s famous and he’s a small-town baker. This book is definitely one to read in bed in February with a candle and your favourite playlist in the background. 

It is a short and sweet book about Amelia, who is an American star experiencing burnout and finds herself staying in a small town while Noah, a grumpy pie shop owner fixes her broken-down car. 

If you’re feeling like escaping your reality for a little while, join Amelia in this small town and enjoy the romance that comes along with the story.

1. Caught Up by Liz Tomforde

Liz Tomforde makes yet another appearance in these recommendations and this time, from the same Windy City series, we have a love story between Kai, a baseball player who is overly protective over his son, and Miller, a baker and nanny (and honestly a comedian at times).  

Their banter is unmatched, and I honestly cannot recommend this book enough. It is a personal favourite of mine in this series and it feels like watching a family grow and develop, along with a blossoming romance. There are appearances from characters in the previous books and all in all this book feels like home. 

Between their subtle glances and careful gestures, Kai and Miller have such a memorable love story that will have you giggling and craving banana bread. 

If you find yourself reaching for a good book, you will not be disappointed with this selection. I can only hope that you give them a chance to sweep you off your feet!

NOELLA MINASSIAN

UC Irvine '25

Hi, I'm Noella :) I am a third year journalism student at UC Irvine. I have always loved writing and hope to continue writing in the future. Growing up in England, I was always encouraged to read. My favourite book is, 'Alone With You in the Ether' by Olivie Blake. It is always my go-to recommendation to any fellow readers. Like many people, I enjoy listening to music and seeing friends in my spare time. I like to stay active and sometimes go on neighbourhood runs. I particularly like to write about life and wellness. I think there is so much to think about and expand on with these topics. As a woman entering her twenties, I am very much navigating through love and life. I have more questions than answers, but I realise there is a kind of freedom in the time I have, to grow and understand. Writing is my passion and I love to spend time with my thoughts and put them on paper. I think writing is an important tool, and one that is worth sharpening.