This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

This is not a sponsored post.

Last week, the skincare world was taken by storm. Cult-favorite Purito Centella Green Level Unscented Sun sunscreen was questioned by Incidecodercom on the amount of chemical UV filters actually used in the product to justify its SPF 50+ rating. When the test results from two in-vivo (in-person) studies were published from separate, reputable labs, the results were shocking. Rather than boasting the comfortable SPF 50+ rating (or SPF 84 in Korea) customers so proudly relied on, the studies revealed that the sunscreen only carried an SPF 19 rating, a steep drop from its advertised protection.

Fortunately, I just found out about this product a few months ago. At that, I typically alternate between different brands of sunscreen on a daily basis, and stay out of the sun for the most part due to the pandemic. Somewhat reassured that all of these factors together protected me from getting potential sun damage, I can’t seem to shake the idea that long-time fans of the brand are feeling surprised, confused, and most of all, worried about what these results mean to their health. 

Given that the American Academy of Dermatology approximates 9,500 people on average get skin cancer per day in the U.S., I completely understand the seriousness of the issue. However, many on the internet affected by the controversy are filled with sentiments of betrayal. They’re growing xenophobic towards Korean beauty products as a whole and participating in hate speech– all behavior I cannot sympathize with. Just because a few products are potentially faulty, the brand should not be discredited, let alone the entire KBeauty industry. Similar incidents have happened on the home front, yet the American beauty market remains the most valuable in the industry and continues to thrive each year.

As of now, Purito already announced that they are taking the necessary steps to get their product retested, and off the market in the meantime. They are offering full refunds and placing order holds on all Purito Centella Unscented sunscreen purchases, along with sister products Purito Centella Safe Sun and Purito Comfy Water Sun Block. These quick, preventative actions reveal a redeeming potential ahead for the brand, growing my hopes for their future. If anything, this incident brought transparency, trust, and quality to the forefront of Purito’s attention. Their products can only get better, right? 

Ashley Tang

UC Irvine '22

Ashley is a 3rd year Business Economics major with a passion for a healthy living. In her free time, she loves hanging out with friends, going to the beach, and making food. You can find her at your local brunch spot or scouting flea markets for unique bargains!