jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kate’s Kitchen: Mini Apple Pies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Want to bake fall treats that look and taste like they took a long time but actually are incredibly simple and quick? Me too. After surfing Pinterest for decorating inspiration and researching the ingredients of an egg wash, I found the answer: my recipe for the cutest mini apple pies you will ever eat. Let’s get started.

This recipe makes 12 mini pies in a regular sized muffin pan. Preheat Oven to 425°F.

Ingredients:

2 Pie Crusts (I bought the Pillsbury frozen ones)

2 Apples

2 Tbsp  Sugar

1 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour

1 tsp Ground Cinnamon

1 tsp Vanilla Extract

For Egg Wash (optional but recommended):

1 Egg

2 Tbsp water

Directions:

1. Peel, core and finely chop the two apples into small pieces. In a bowl, mix the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla until the apples are evenly coated.

2.Roll out the pie crusts and with either a cookie cutter or the mouth of a jar, cut out circles about 4-5 inches in diameter. Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray or oil and place your mini crusts inside each tin. Pinch together any gaps. Save the extra crust for decorating the tops of the pies. 2. Roll out the pie crusts and with either a cookie cutter or the mouth of a jar, cut out circles about 4-5 inches in diameter. Spray your muffin pan with cooking spray or oil and place your mini crusts inside each tin. Pinch together any gaps. Save the extra crust for decorating the tops of the pies.

3. Fill the crusts evenly with your apple mixture. With the leftover crust, decorate the tops of the pies however you want! I did a woven pattern, little X’s and a swirl. Then pinch the edges on the rim down with a fork.

4. Adding an egg wash to the top crust is completely optional. What it does is make the top crusts shiny and golden. To make an egg wash, beat together one egg and two tablespoons of water to get the shine and color of pies. Essentially the more water you add, the lighter your wash is when baked. Brush onto the top crusts.

5. Once your oven is heated to 425°F, bake your mini pies for about 15-20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Mine took 15 minutes, but my oven is extremely powerful.

6. Let them cool and serve warm with vanilla ice cream and/ whipped cream.

Voila! Super simple, few ingredients and extremely delicious. This is the perfect recipe for the busy baker.

Photographer and writer studying art and literary journalism at UCI. I like food, fashion and photos.
Elizabeth is a second-year English major at University of California, Irvine. This is her second year as a writer for Her Campus UCI, but her first year as Co-Campus Coordinator. In her free time she loves to write short stories and read fantasy novels.