It’s Time To Break Up With Your Shampoo and Go No-Poo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

The no-poo method is officially my latest obsession. Ladies, stop throwing away your money on expensive shampoos. Your scalp and hair will love you for it. After watching countless videos on YouTube about how to save my dry and damaged hair, I stumbled upon one method that has literally changed the way I think about hair care for good.

Okay, so you’re probably thinking, “What’s no poo?” No, it has nothing to do with the toilet. It’s actually a lifestyle change that simply involves not using any kind of shampoo on your hair. Now you’re probably thinking okay this girl has totally lost it, I don’t want my hair to be a grease-ball. I’ve stayed true to the no-poo method for almost three weeks now, and my hair already looks and feels so much healthier then before. Even my friends have noticed a difference.

So what makes shampoo so bad? Well our ancestors never used the stuff, they relied on good old soap and water, until big business came around and convinced people that their hair needed shampoo to smell nice and look healthy. It was all just a scam to make money. Shampoo is actually pretty damaging due to a harsh chemical called Sulfate, which strips your scalp and hair of the natural oils that are essential for soft, strong, healthy locks. Not to mention all of the other chemicals in our shampoos today, which are not only harmful to our hair, but our bodies too, as it can easily enter our bloodstream and get absorbed through the skin.

So now you probably want to know an alternative way to get clean healthy hair while staying away from harsh shampoos. Don’t worry, because you probably already have this product in your kitchen. Trust me when I say baking soda is your friend. Nothing too crazy, just one tablespoon of baking soda to one cup of water is enough to gently clean your tresses. Your next step to beautiful healthy hair is apple cider vinegar. It acts as a great replacement for conditioner. You can just put these mixes in an old shampoo and conditioner bottle, shake and there you go. Or if you want to go all natural try using essential oils, or just water works for some. The most important thing is to rub the scalp well to remove excess oil.

I’ve been loving the shampoo-free life, my only question is why isn’t everyone else doing this? It is so economical because you spend less money healing your hair than you would buying fancy products when in actuality, it only damages it more. Give your hair a few weeks to transition to the new method; it might get a bit oily from the reaction of excess oil due to the absence of shampoo, but soon you will only have to wash your hair 1-2 times a week. So what are you waiting for? Just break up with your shampoo.

Stephanie Holland is currently a freshman at the University of California Irvine. She is Undecided and Undeclared and is Interested in Business and Journalism. She recently traded her hometown roots in the mountains of North Carolina for sunny Southern California beaches, where she enjoys sailing on the UCI collegiate sailing team. Over the summer, Stephanie interned for ION, a sports network company in Los Angeles, she gained valuable experience in digital media production, social media promotion, and PR. During the year, Stephanie writes for Her Campus, works at Sperry, and is a sister of the Delta Gamma sorority. she can be contacted at sehollan@uci.edu
...