How To Land the Internship Of Your Dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Internships are a great way for college students to see gain experience in the real world! If you follow the following tips and tricks, you are sure to land the internship of your dreams.

1.    Get Organized

Before you can apply for an internship, there are several things you need to do. Firstly, you must make sure you have a full proof resume and cover letter at hand. To maximize your chances of getting a call back, send your resume/ cover letter to a friend or parent who can help you edit it and make positive suggestions!

2.    Do your Research

Doing research on the companies you want to intern for is a must! Figure out what sort of industry you want to work in, how many hours a week you will invest, what your work duties are and read reviews about the companies you apply to. It is important to get a general idea of what the company stands for before applying so that neither yours or their time is wasted. Another important note is to make sure you have reliable transportation to and from the office. Nothing is worse than getting your dream internships but having no means of transportation.

3.    Reach out to your social network

Luckily in today’s day in age, it is easy to reach out to professionals! Be sure to utilize your Linkedin account and contact people who have a career in your similar interest. Make sure to stay professional in your message and ask if they are currently hiring. If you can’t find anyone in your field on linkedin, reach out to your family, friends and college faculty. Someone is bound to know more about the field than you do, and it never hurts to ask!

4.    Apply Apply Apply

There are several websites that are filled with tons of internship opportunities. Here are a few: Linkedin, internships.com, Looksharp, Indeed and even your school’s own website. The more places you apply to, the higher your chances are of getting a call back and landing a sweet gig.

5.    Follow Up

One of the number one mistakes applicants make when applying to internships is forgetting to follow up. All it takes is one phone call that could potentially connect you with the recruiter and set up an interview!

Traveling, fashion, adventure!
Hello! My name is Shary. I'm a student at UC Irvine with a passion for film, writing and graphic design.