Wellness > Mental Health

Why You Should Get a Certification (on Top of Undergrad!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

It’s very easy to just pour all of your efforts into your education, and being involved on your campus in ways that benefit your resume for the future career you want is an easy way to do just that. We’re all guilty of being involved in things just because we want a resume builder, and maybe not necessarily because we’re actually interested in all of the activities we participate in during each semester. While it’s perfectly acceptable to focus on what you’re getting a degree in, and where you’re going after these four years of structure end, it might be beneficial for you to do something for yourself that lies outside of the bounds of just scholarly education. It’s amazing to be interested in school and not want to deviate your time from what you are studying, all of the new people you are meeting, or all of the possibilities that lie ahead of you. But, there are ways to stray from being stuck in a one-track mind.

Plenty of college students now are learning that it is possible to teach a class at their college while they go to school there. No, not just math courses, or being a TA, but a class at their school’s gym facility. Most schools have a range of classes from spin to yoga to dance to kickboxing, and if you want to introduce a new class to your gym, then I am sure you could figure out a way. The gym facilities on campus are a wonderful way to get involved, as well as the public gyms around your city.  And you don’t have to stop with just academic courses, you could teach art classes, or start clubs that are more focused on self-love than just resume-love.

Certification courses are often shorter than a semester, and can be completed during the summer in the place of a summer internship. While you’re not creating the same sort of resume booster you would if you were interning in an office building, you are gaining hands on learning for a professional field outside of the realm of your academic interests. If you do a spin certification, the most basic ones can sometimes be completed in a weekend, and then you have a decent enough understanding to teach your peers an athletic class which is beneficial to not only them, but you as well.

It’s true that many college students struggle finding time to go to the gym, but imagine if you were getting paid to do something you would have wanted to schedule for yourself if only you had enough time. One… you’ll be making a bit of extra cash, so you won’t feel guilty about spending your time away from your studies, and we’re all struggling college students who would love the extra cash to go to a concert, go on adventure, or help our parents out paying for our courses. Two… you’ll be doing something for yourself by taking care of your body, and if you’re choosing a certification class, you’ll most likely be choosing an exercise that you’re actually interested in, which is bound to make you happier in the long run.

If you could find the time, and the drive to complete a certification when you are on a break from classes, then you might be able to incorporate this healthier, happier lifestyle when you come back to class. Imagine taking a break from studying to go teach your own yoga class, or your own spin class. You’d be able to pass on your knowledge about something, and your love for it, and you might possibly influence and change people’s lives in a positive way. A good teacher makes all of the difference, and it’s far easier to connect with an instructor who is your own age, which will make it easier to convey the type of message you want to present to the world.

Having recently completed my yoga certification, I am beyond excited to spread what I have learned with my community and see how it changes their lives and whether or not it helps them in the same way that it has helped me. Yoga has created an atmosphere of presentness for me outside of my education, and that has helped me remain grounded and not fixate on the pressure or the grades or the expectations I’ve placed on myself.

I can only hope that I may be able to help others let go of those same expectations when I teach classes in the future.

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!