This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

“Wait, but before we go… can we stop for a sweet treat?” 

TikTok has become a platform where women can express their emotions, fantasies, and experiences, finding that nearly every other woman on the internet has shared the same feeling at some point. So it’s not surprising that the app has been hearing a lot from women with shared desires for a “sweet treat” or post-meal dessert (I say post-meal instead of post-dinner because this craving seems to hit at any time, day, or hour).

However, it’s not women’s fault. No — it’s an innate biological craving. On days when it feels as though your body is begging you to pick up a McDonald’s Mcflurry, that’s because it is! 

Dr. Gail Saltz and nutritionist Madelyn Fernstrom explain this phenomenon, reported by TODAY News. While men have inherent cravings for salt and fatty things such as steak, chips, and pizza, women crave sweet things like ice cream and chocolate; this is primarily due to the fluctuation of  hormone levels women experience. 

Women are especially prone to crave these sugary treats around the week leading up to their period since their bodies are increasing in estrogen and progesterone — the hormones that trigger these cravings. 

In addition, consuming these sugary treats releases serotonin into the bloodstream, causing feelings of happiness and joy — emotions that tend to be absent in women around the time of menstruation. So, not only do these treats taste good going down, but they actually make you feel better (at least for a little while).

Oftentimes, it’s a struggle for women to manage their cravings and prevent them from getting out of hand, but don’t lose hope; cravings are something that can be easily controlled and satisfied with a little bit of practice. Conditioning is a major part of one’s diet. If you consume sweet treats on a daily basis, your body will become accustomed to needing and expecting the substance. Therefore, with a bit of practice and diligence, you can start to cut back your sugar intake little by little each day, until your body doesn’t expect it anymore. Nonetheless, an occasional sweet treat is still important for a woman — her body literally needs it.

Sloane Moriarty

UC Berkeley '27

Sloane is a freshman at UC Berkeley studying English, and minoring in education. She is passionate about writing and literacy because she finds words and communication to be the single most important factor in the development of our world. She loves to read and write because it can expand one's ideas and force their beliefs to grow. In her free time, she loves to spend time in the ocean, explore the outdoors, and try new restaurants. She is excited about her future at UC Berkeley and plans to get her masters in education and become a teacher.