Life > Experiences

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY’RE ACTUALLY DOING

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I CHANGED MY MAJOR ABOUT FIVE TIMES. When I first got accepted into UC Berkeley, I was set on majoring in computer science. After taking an introductory CS course, I realized that computer science was NOT for me. Then from computer science, I switched between economics, history, business, and now I’m double majoring in political economy and history.

I always wondered if it was ever a good idea for an 18-year-old to decide on a major that they’ll spend the next four years of their life studying. I thought that by the time I was a freshman, I should’ve figured out what I wanted to do with my life and what career I wanted to have, but the truth is that I didn’t know what I wanted. And I’m still being honest — I don’t know what I want to do, and no one else does either. 

When I was in my calculus lecture last spring, I would see the confused faces of my classmates. Some people were playing video games, others were dozing off, and some were even doodling in their notebooks. I felt assured that there were some classmates that didn’t know what was going on in the lecture and probably had no idea what the professor was talking about. 

One night, my roommates and I were discussing our future plans. It wasn’t until one of my roommates said she had no idea what she was doing and was just trying to figure it out. We all agreed that we were still discovering our interests and that college can definitely be a strange place. It doesn’t matter if the person next to you seems like they understand what’s going on, because it’s probable they don’t know anything either. 

One of the best things about college is the fact that you’re able to learn a lot of things about yourself — interests, hobbies, things you like, and things you don’t. My point is: it’s okay to not know everything! At the end of the day, you’re still learning.

Melissa Ayala

UC Berkeley '26

Melissa is currently a sophomore at UC Berkeley, double majoring in History and Political Economy. In her free time, Melissa enjoys watching movies, updating her Spotify playlists, and reading a book.