This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

For many people, acquiring happiness is a struggle and may be an ongoing challenge. It can take days, months or even years. Although I have not found a key that unlocks a door to eternal happiness, I have learned to appreciate the little things in life that can spark even the smallest ounce of joy in me.   

1. Hot Showers

Whether I’m unwinding after a stressful day of classes or simply need to wake up in the morning, a hot shower is guaranteed to make me feel better. I find that hot water combined with strong water pressure is useful for relieving tension throughout my muscles and body. It’s also a great way to warm up during chilly Berkeley nights. 

2. Picking Out My Outfit

Even if I’m not feeling my best, putting on a nice outfit improves my mood. When I put effort into my outfit, I am more inclined to go out and be productive, rather than stay at home. If I look put together on the outside, I feel more put together on the inside. 

3. Catching the Bus on Time

As a public transportation enthusiast, there’s nothing better than walking to the bus station as soon as the bus approaches. It feels like a mini accomplishment knowing that my schedule coincidentally lined up with the bus schedule that day. I don’t have to wait twenty minutes in the cold and feel unproductive while doing so. All I have to do is hop on the bus and go on with my day. 

4. Clean Bed Sheets 

Going to bed with freshly washed sheets may be underappreciated by others, but is one thing I greatly appreciate. Having clean sheets motivates me to clean the rest of my living space. They also mark the beginning of a new week, one where I have a fresh start. It’s a plus if they’re still warm from the dryer!

5. Passing by Dogs

One of the saddest parts about leaving home to attend college was having to leave my three dogs. Whenever I see dogs around campus or in the surrounding neighborhoods, I can’t help but smile. Their carefree and energetic spirits when they walk by or try to catch a sniff of me instantly uplift my mood.

Learning to love the little things in life has made me appreciative of what I have, no matter how small or big. Happiness doesn’t always come from obvious moments or situations. Sometimes, happiness lies in the overlooked, mundane aspects of life.

Sophie Ward

UC Berkeley '24

Sophie is a senior at the University of California, Berkeley, majoring in media studies, with a concentration in digital studies, and minoring in journalism. She is currently the co-editor-in-chief and president of the Berkeley chapter, where she oversees the editorial department. Sophie has experience in journalism, social media, public relations, and all things writing. She enjoys writing listicles, news stories, and personal blogs about college life. After graduating, she aspires to enter the media and communications industry where she can continue writing or editing and share her passion for storytelling. Outside of academics, Sophie enjoys playing with her dogs, taking care of her many plants, or getting a sweet treat with friends.