This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Over the summer, while the world remained in lockdown and I was knee-deep in online classes, I decided to try the Chloe Ting Summer Shred Challenge. Everywhere I turned, whether it was Tik Tok, Instagram, or Youtube, I encountered people trying the Chloe Ting challenge and documenting their experiences. Since I had extra time on my hands, I decided to join them and give it a try.

The challenge was tough and I was constantly out of breath, dreading every single exercise. The soreness you experience daily really drains you, but I was able to learn some techniques and tricks, which I am happy to share with you:

1. Try the Get Fit Challenge First

Chloe created a separate low-intensity challenge for people who haven’t worked out in a while. I highly recommend it for anyone who’s interested in trying out one of her popular challenges or who is interested in a daily exercise routine. This challenge is my mom and I’s go-to and it makes us feel the burn every time.

2. Try Out Some of Chloe’s Recipes

Oftentimes her recipes have a high nutritional value which can help your muscles and joints recover from the exercise and make you feel happy and healthier.

3. Try to Do All the Workouts At the Same Time Every Day If Possible

Sometimes I would wait until it was really late on a Friday night before completing the set workouts for that day. Then, on Saturday, I would wake up early and do the exercises for that day to make sure my weekend was free. Although this may seem tempting to do when you have a busy day planned ahead or if you have a tendency to procrastinate, I strongly advise you against this method.

On the days that I did this, I could feel a noticeable difference in my soreness which negatively affected my workout the next day. To ensure your muscles have ample time to heal and you’re able to give it your all, it’s best to complete your set of exercises for the day it is assigned. 

4. Take a Week Break Between Challenges

If you follow the challenges religiously or end up liking the accountability aspect that Chloe adds to your exercise routine, make sure to leave yourself a week to two weeks in between challenges to recuperate. Trust me, your muscles will thank you.

5. Don’t Be Afraid to Start Over

Although the word “challenge” can seem daunting and unmotivating at times, it is ok to take a step back and let your body rest. When I first tried the challenge I dropped the ball after the first two weeks. However, I started the challenge again after a two-week hiatus and finished all four weeks of the challenge consecutively.

Despite initially giving up on the challenge, the feeling of accomplishment afterward was so rewarding that it didn’t matter if I didn’t make it on my first go. Don’t let that discourage you!

Chantal Chew

UC Berkeley '24

Hi everyone! I am a second year at UC Berkeley studying Public Health. On my free time I enjoy binge watching new shows on Netflix, FaceTiming family, and hanging out with friends.