This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

There’s a new seasonal condition that scientists and doctors have been extensively researching, one for which they are struggling to find a cure. Increasing at a rapidly alarming rate, it’s a condition that seems to impact millions of humans every winter. Sufferers report feeling lethargic, depressed, and utterly devoid of any will to love. Even more concerning are the physical symptoms: paleness, dark circles under the eyes, and an overall ghastly appearance that seems to worsen by the day. Despite volumes of research, scientists remain stumped for a cure of this creeping illness. The condition’s name? “February Face.”

Calm down, don’t freak out! Despite what scientists may say, it happens to everyone. Wintertime rolls around —you’re getting sick, you’re getting pale, and you’re getting overwhelmed. And while this debilitating phenomenon may be inevitable, it can also be preventable. And so, to help prevent a severe case of “February Face,” here I have listed below five products to help cure your February face, body, and mind.

1. Self Tan

This is likely the easiest solution possible. “February Face” can also feed into your “February Mind,” and so you want to ensure you are looking your best so that you can mentally feel your best. With UV Tanning Beds being extremely harmful for your body, it’s best to opt for tanning mousses or drops. A fan favorite is the Isle of Paradise Self-Tanning Drops; they come in varying shades and varying products for both your face and body. This product develops in 4 hours and can last up to 5 days, so it’s a minimal yet effective product to help you throughout the wintertime!

2. Light Therapy Lamp

Bright light exposure, which is severely lacking in the wintertime, can play a crucial role in your mood. Using a full-spectrum light therapy lamp, otherwise known as a sunset lamp, you can benefit from an artificial dose of vitamin D and help boost your mood and energy. The Hatch Restore Sound Machine is an alarm clock that has accumulated much appreciation for its light therapy features, while a cheaper alternative can be found in stores like Target, Amazon, and more. 

3. Working Out Regularly

When you’re feeling sluggish, unmotivated, and sad, the last thing you may want to do is exercise. However, even just 30 minutes of movement per day like walking, yoga, or cycling can release endorphins, improve circulation, and increase both your physical and mental state. It doesn’t have to be some large, difficult activity — if you focus on working out to improve how you FEEL versus how you LOOK, you’re bound to make a positive effort in improving yourself during the wintertime.

4. Moisturizing

Dry, cracked, and flaky skin and lips are another unfortunate symptom of the winter wealth that contributes to the illness of “February Face.” Using an overnight lip treatment or hydrating face mask can help repair your skin and lips. For your lips, look for products containing ingredients like shea butter, honey, vitamin E, or coconut oil that will seal in moisture. Additionally, for the face, look for masks containing ingredients like vitamin C, turmeric, hyaluronic acid, or other antioxidants that can help fade dark spots while also hydrating. 

5. Staying Cozy and Warm

There’s nothing more likely to aggravate your “February Face” symptoms than feeling cold. Focus on staying cozy and comfortable by bundling up in soft layers, sipping hot beverages, using weighted blankets, lighting candles, and more. Allow yourself this soothing hibernation time without any guilt! This warm, cozy form of mental recharging can brighten your mood and outlook. 

While “February Face” may seem like an unavoidable season affliction, there are many effective solutions to help combat its dreary symptoms. It may require some trial and error to find the approach that works best for you. But having a proactive plan of attack makes all the difference in emerging from winter feeling your happiest, healthiest, and most vibrant self!

Julia Ginsburg

UC Berkeley '27

Julia Ginsburg is a member of Her Campus UC Berkeley, where she contributes as a Staff Writer and Marketing Team member. Julia is currently a first year student at the University of California, Berkeley, where she plans to double-major in Media Studies and Political Science, as well as minor in music. When she’s not writing or studying for classes, Julia enjoys activities like dance, guitar, and singing.