Expectations vs. Reality of Bay Area Weather by a New Yorker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Warning: the following is entirely my opinion and experience, and by no means should be applied generally. 

Choosing a college in California, I (ignorantly) expected consistent and fairly warm weather, say around 70°F. However, I soon found how wrong I was. 

person stretching outside in sun
Photo by Radu Florin from unsplash

While the weather in California may be much more moderate and consistent throughout the year, the weather in New York is much more consistent throughout each day. Here, I find the typical morning and evening chilly (arguably even “cold”) enough for a fairly thick jacket. Maybe I have yet to adjust to the Bay Area weather, but I even find myself having separate morning, midday, and evening outfits. In New York, while the summer tends to be brutally hot and humid and the winter tends to be quite cold (or “brick,” as we would say), the weather throughout the day is relatively constant. 

Girl In Snow With Jean Jacket
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

I’ve also made the unfortunate discovery that the Bay Area weather changes much more often. I may check the weather forecasts in the morning to find that the high will be a moderate temperature, but then be surprised by a temperature in the 90s. 

So, come prepared. Don’t be like me and end up needing your parents to mail you extra pairs of pants because you didn’t research the Bay Area weather enough.

Jennifer Brown

UC Berkeley '24

Jenny is a sophomore at UC Berkeley, originally from New York City. At the moment, she intends to major in business and minor in math. She loves fashion, being active, and meeting people (Her Instagram is @jenniferr.brown)
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.