CollegeListHero
CollegeListHero
Her Campus Media Design

5 ways to make your life better right now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

We’re in the thick of it now. Midterms are here, the workload is piling up, and the excitement of the new school year is starting to fizzle out. It’s normal: once the weather starts getting colder, school starts getting harder; and the more all-nighters you pull, the more difficult it gets to enjoy the day-to-day. Here are five ways to make your life better right now. 

1) Practice Gratefulness 

Practicing gratefulness is a process. I continually have to remind myself to do this. The best part about practicing gratefulness is that even in the most caffeine-deficient, crappy moments, you can always find something to be grateful for. If I’m late to class, stressing out, I take a second to acknowledge and appreciate my surroundings (“That tree over there is photosynthesizing!” or “The sunshine feels really good on my face right now.” ) Whenever you feel like your daily routine is mundane, switch it up by appreciating the tiny things you wouldn’t otherwise notice. You don’t have to religious or spiritual to practice gratefulness (though if you are, it works just as well). You can feel thankful for your health, your access to education, your ability to obtain your basic needs like food, sleep, and shelter. The less you take for granted, the more motivated you will feel to live a happy life. 

2) Make It Fun 

Finding fun in your daily tasks gets easier the more you practice. If I’m studying for hours on end, I’ll take breaks to make myself tea, go on a little run, or dance to my favorite song. Allowing yourself to feel joy even when doing stuff that seems pretty joyless makes you more productive. Change things up; take an alternate route to your next class, sit somewhere different than usual in lecture and make a new friend. It can be hard to find the fun in boring things you do every day, but there is always a way. Invite your bff to go grocery shopping with you. Listen to a juicy podcast while you run your errands. Whatever you do, make it fun. 

Anna Schultz-Girls In Gas Station With Junk Food
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

3) Try to learn something new every day 

Okay, the idea here is that you’re never intellectually staying in one place. Chose to learn about what you love; even if it’s listening to one new song, or looking up a new inspirational woman each day, or trying to memorize your astrology chart. It will help you appreciate the infinite knowledge the world has to offer, and you may even become inspired by something you never knew before. Plus, you’ll find yourself full of fun little facts and things that continually entertain your friends!

4) Call someone

You can take ten minutes out of your day to check up on Grandma, your sister, or your best friend from high school. Sometimes it’s easy to get wrapped up in your own little college-bubble, and you forget about all the lovely humans outside of that sphere of life. Calling someone you love, who you know loves you, is never a waste of time. It will pick you up; it’ll remind you who you are, where you come from, and why you’re doing what you’re doing in the first place. The best part about this is that you can do it whenever it’s convenient – If you’re walking from class to class, if you’re taking the bus to the gym – whenever. It’s a great way to make the people you loved feel loved – so extra points for that, too.

The Lalaoveralls Iced Coffee Sunglasses
Her Campus Media

5) Recognize the toxic stuff. Then cut it out. 

To stop feeling bleh, you gotta know what’s causing it. Are your pressures external, or self-driven? If it’s external, recognize and acknowledge what’s bothering you. Write them down. I find that the physical act of writing down the things that stress me out actually help to get that stress ~out~ of my body. After I write it all down, I think about what possible solutions are. Sometimes the solutions aren’t easy. Sometimes, they are as simple as “complete this task ASAP” or “stop texting him.” Start with the easiest one, and go from there. Getting the little stressers out of the way first is going to give you the space and energy to tackle the big stuff. 

If it’s internal, you can do the same thing — except, it’s a little more complicated. Write down what pressure you’re inflicting upon yourself. Are you insecure about the presentation you’re doing on Friday? Are you down on yourself, your body image, or something else? Do you feel unqualified for the position you’re interviewing for? Know that these feelings are normal but also destructive. Use that same energy to reverse the negative things you tell yourself. You can do this in a number of ways. (Please note that if any of these feelings are impeding your ability to live your life as you wish, or if they last for long periods of time, nothing beats seeing a counselor or therapist.) One way that I tackle my internal insecurities or stress is through creative expression. I write songs or poems; but maybe for you it’s different. Maybe you like to do affirmations (“I am strong. I am smart. I am beautiful! I can do this!”) in the mirror over and over again until you believe it. Maybe you like to take a walk in nature until you feel at peace. Whatever it is, listen to yourself; listen to the negative thoughts, and then recognize them, and then do whatever it is you need to do to reverse them (or prove them wrong.) This is a process, (sometimes it lasts a lifetime) but the most rewarding, gratifying experiences as you watch yourself improve.

person standing on field facing a sunset
Victor Freitas via Pexels

If you feel that you may be struggling with anxiety or depression, you should consult with a doctor and seek professional help. Everybody feels like they’re in a rut sometimes. You’re not alone. If there’s one thing you take away from this article, I hope it’s that there are little things we can do everyday to make our lives happier. For many, finding joy in the mundane is a choice, and some days it’s easier than others. I hope that these suggestions will provide you with a little extra sunshine in your days, so you can be better prepared to better the lives of others. 

Emma Gerson

UC Berkeley '23

Emma Gerson is a musician and political advocate. She will be competing for the title of Miss California in 2021.
Rosalyn Wang

UC Berkeley