Style > Beauty

5 PRODUCTS FOR A SUSTAINABLE SKIN CARE ROUTINE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Whether your morning routine is three steps or fifteen, what you put on your skin matters. When was the last time you actually checked out the label on the back of your favorite facial cleanser? How about your shampoo, or even your perfume?

With the average woman using around 12 different beauty products each day, it is important to consider what is in these products. Consumers have become increasingly aware and critical of what’s in their beauty products, and companies have picked up on it. Greenwashing, or making products appear to be more eco-friendly and non-toxic than they really are, is everywhere, and it can be hard to determine which products are really safe for your body and for the environment.

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) created a database to help consumers do just that- Skin Deep. The database gives information on thousands of beauty and personal care products and even scores them based on various ingredient concerns, including ecotoxicity, developmental and reproductive toxicity, occupational hazard, and other factors. Products that meet certain standards can also earn an EWG Verified seal, something to look out for next time you’re on the hunt for a new lotion or bottle of shampoo. 

Here are a few of my favorite products that have earned EWG’s seal of approval:

Made with baobab extract, buriti oil, and quinoa extract, this gentle and smooth facial cleanser is the perfect start to your morning or night time routine. The cleanser is also gluten-free, nut-free, and available for only $12 on the NakedPoppy website.  

Many of Honest Beauty’s products meet the mark for EWG’s seal, and this serum is no exception. This serum is a great way to keep your skin hydrated and glowing, especially as the weather starts to turn cold and dry this fall. Plus, both the bottle and the packaging are recyclable! 

This mask is perfect if your skin is in need of a little extra TLC. Made with marshmallow extract and white clay, C’est Moi’s Cloud Mask is a great addition to your next spa day. 

In addition to be available for under $10, Rooted Beauty’s Rejuvenating Body Wash is rich in antioxidants and has a lovely rose and grapefruit scent. If you purchase it through Grove Collaborative, the product comes with a prepaid return label to send back the packaging to be recycled once you run out! 

Made with organic shea butter and scented with organic Bulgarian lavender, Organic Bath Company’s PeaceFull Body Butter has glowing reviews and a simple, understandable ingredient list. 

Now, it’s your turn! Next time you need a new product, don’t just grab the cheapest item on the shelf, or be fooled by aesthetic green packaging. Take the time to read and understand the ingredients, what they are, where they come from, and whether they’re really good for you and for the environment. Tools like EWG’s Skin Deep make it easy to access this information, so it’s up to you as a consumer to seek it out, and make sure you know what you’re putting on your body.

Sophia Stockton

UC Berkeley '24

Sophia is a junior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying sociology and psychology. Originally from San Diego, Sophia spends most of her free time at the beach, listening to music, cooking, or taking photos.